STEAK GYROS WITH TZATZIKI SAUCE — Flank steak is marinated then grilled, and served in flatbread with lettuce, tomato, onion and homemade cucumber sauce in this make-at-home version of the classic Greek sandwich.
My family has a favorite Greek restaurant here in town, and we all love their gyros. So I knew I needed to try making gyros at home. And these Steak Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce were definitely a hit!
My boys couldn’t stop raving about this recipe, and I loved that it was so easy to make and refreshing to eat. Plus, if you cook your steak on the grill, you don’t need to heat up your kitchen during those warm summer months.
Finished off with some crumbled feta cheese and homemade Tzatziki Sauce, these steak gyros quickly became one of our favorite family meals.
If you’ve never tried a gyro (pronounced yee-ro), trust me, you are definitely missing out! These gyros are absolutely amazing! And although they’re delicious any time of year, I think they’re particularly perfect for summer. Especially with fresh tomatoes from your garden!
And I definitely recommend marinating your flank steak as long as possible, so it’s extra tender and juicy. Letting it rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing also helps seal in plenty of juices and flavor.
I can’t remember the last time my family had so many great things to say about dinner. These recipe is definitely a keeper, and one I’ll be serving again and again.
Be sure to save this recipe for Steak Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Steak Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce
- Flank steak
- Olive oil
- Produce: garlic, lemons, red onion, tomatoes, lettuce, cucumber, fresh dill
- Spices: oregano, salt and pepper, Greek seasoning
- Sour cream
- Rice vinegar
- Flatbread or pita bread
- Feta cheese
- Tzatziki sauce
- 1.5 pounds flank steak
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, plus additional wedges for squeezing
- 1/3 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1-2 tomatoes, sliced
- Chopped romaine lettuce
- Flatbread or pita bread
- Crumbled feta cheese
- Tzatziki sauce
- Place flank steak in a large resealable bag or shallow pan. Combine olive oil, garlic, oregano, salt, pepper and juice of half a lemon and pour over steak. Cover or seal and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.
- Prepare Tzatziki sauce; cover and refrigerate.
- Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Transfer teak to grill (discard marinade) and cook for 6-8 minutes per side, or until meat reaches desired doneness. Transfer steak to a cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice thinly against the grain.
- Serve steak in flatbread or pita bread with onion, tomatoes, lettuce, feta cheese and tzatziki sauce.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 457 Total Fat: 23g Saturated Fat: 6g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 94mg Sodium: 624mg Carbohydrates: 26g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 8g Protein: 36g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Sheet Pan Cheese Steak Sandwiches
Flank steak, peppers and mushrooms are baked on a sheet pan, then topped with melted cheese and served in sandwich buns in this easy, one pan meal.Get the Recipe
Grilled Flank Steak with Buffalo Blue Cheese Butter
Flank steak is marinated, then grilled to perfection and topped with an herbed Buffalo and blue cheese spread, for an easy but elegant beef dinner.Get the Recipe
Grilled Steak Potato Mushroom Kabobs
Juicy steak, tender potatoes and savory mushrooms are skewered and grilled to perfection!Get the Recipe
Marinated Grilled Flank Steak with Herb Gorgonzola Butter
Tender marinated flank steak, grilled to perfection then topped with herb Gorgonzola butter.Get the Recipe
Herb and Garlic Meatloaf with Garlic Butter Sauce
Homemade meatloaf, loaded with fresh herbs and topped off with warm garlic butter sauce.Get the Recipe
Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
Tender shredded beef, slow cooked and served on sub buns with melted cheese and Au Jus for dipping.Get the Recipe
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Creme de la Crumb