CREAMY ITALIAN CHICKEN NOODLE SOUP — Featuring a creamy broth loaded with chicken, pasta and vegetables, this savory chicken noodle soup is the ultimate comfort food on a cold day.
I love a creamy, hearty chicken noodle soup, and this Italian Chicken Noodle Soup is perfect for a chilly winter day.
It has a creamy tomato broth and is loaded with sautéed veggies, chicken and pasta. Best of all, it comes together in about 30 minutes and my whole family loves it!
I like to use Ditalini pasta–you know, this short, tiny tubes–in this recipe, but small shells or even orzo would work great too. So would regular egg noodles, or almost any kind of pasta, so feel free to throw in whatever you have on hand.
Come to think of it, a vegetarian version of this soup would be amazing too!
This satisfying, hearty soup really is what comfort food is all about! And of course, this is one of those recipes where you can switch things up to suit your tastes, or use what you have.
Sometimes I used ground Italian sausage in place of the chicken. It’s like a whole different soup, and equally amazing!
This creamy soup has been in my recipe collection for years, and I always go back to it because it never fails to get rave reviews. One hint if your planning on leftovers–cook the pasta separately and add it to each individual bowl when serving.
That way, it doesn’t get mushy, like leftover pasta tends to do.
Serve this Creamy Italian Chicken Noodle Soup with some crusty bread and you’ve got an easy, heartwarming meal for a chilly fall or winter night.
Be sure to save this Creamy Italian Chicken Noodle Soup recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Creamy Italian Chicken Noodle Soup
- Ditalini or other small pasta
- Produce: onion, carrots, celery, garlic, fresh basil
- Chicken stock
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Spices: Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper
- Half and Half
- Parmesan cheese
- 3 cups uncooked small pasta (Ditalini, small shells, etc.)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups Half & Half
- 1/4 fresh basil, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, add butter to a large pot over medium heat and saute onions, carrots, celery and garlic until vegetables are tender. Stir in flour and cook a few minutes longer.
- Whisk in chicken stock and simmer until liquid begins to thicken slightly. Add cooked chicken, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes and Half & Half. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Just before serving, stir in cooked pasta, chopped basil and Parmesan cheese. Garnish with basil and additional Parmesan, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 465Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 95mgSodium: 699mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 3gSugar: 9gProtein: 27g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Carlsbad Cravings