EASY BLUEBERRY CREAM CHEESE BRAID — This easy pastry starts with canned crescent roll dough. Paired with a blueberry cream cheese filling, it’s perfect for breakfast, brunch or even dessert.
We don’t have pastries for breakfast very often around here. But if I do make pastries for breakfast, it’s definitely going to be something simple, like this Easy Blueberry Cream Cheese Braid.
The big, time-saving secret here is starting with canned crescent roll dough. And once you have your dough ready to braid, the rest is easy.
Just imagine a giant blueberry cream cheese Danish, and you’ll have a pretty good idea of what this delicious breakfast treat tastes like.
Best of all, it’s easy to adapt for use with other fillings, like apple or cherry. Since you can use fresh, frozen or canned blueberries in this recipe, the possibilities are wide open for trying different fillings.
I love that this pastry looks fancy, but is so easy to put together. Easy enough that even kids can help. The braided dough always comes out looking beautiful, especially when it’s finished of with some sparkling sugar and a drizzle of lemon glaze.
This blueberry cream cheese braid is perfect for special occasion brunches like Easter or Mother’s Day. Everyone is always impressed when I served this. And no one has to know how easy it was!
The hardest part about making this cream cheese filled pastry is waiting for it to cool so you can slice it and eat it. And you really do need to let it cool for about 45 minutes, at least.
But after that, you can dig in and enjoy. My family can easily devour the whole thing in one sitting, so don’t except to have any leftovers!
*Pro tip: use a pizza cutter to cut the strips into your pastry before braiding.
Be sure to save this Easy Blueberry Cream Cheese Braid recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Easy Blueberry Cream Cheese Braid
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
- Produce: lemons, blueberries
- Crescent roll dough
- Sparkling sugar (optional)
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (8 oz.) can refrigerated crescent roll dough
- 3/4 cup fresh, frozen or canned blueberries
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1-2 teaspoons sparkling sugar (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a baking sheet, or line with parchment paper.
- With an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, egg yolk and 1/4 cup powdered sugar. Stir in lemon zest and vanilla.
- Remove crescent roll dough from can. Press seams together and roll into a 9x14 inch rectangle. Starting from each side of the rectangle, cut 1 inch strips into the dough, leaving the dough intact through the center.
- Spoon the cream cheese mixture down the center of the dough. Sprinkle blueberries over cream cheese.
- Beginning at the top of the dough, braid dough strips to cover filling, stretching slightly as needed. Tuck the last two ends under the bottom of the loaf.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg white and water with a whisk. Brush over dough. Sprinkle with sparkling sugar, if desired.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool for at least 45 minutes on baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining 1 cup powdered sugar and lemon juice. Drizzle over bread before serving.
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Cuisine at Home
Last Updated on 2019-03-23 by Danelle