EASY ITALIAN BREAD — Bake two delicious loaves of crusty Italian bread with this easy to make recipe.
It’s always good to have a simple bread recipe on hand, and this Easy Italian Bread is one of my favorites.
There are no fancy ingredients, and the hardest part is remembering to start the bread in time to rise and bake before dinner is ready. Well, that’s the hardest part for me anyway.
Made this bread today and it was delicious. I will definitely make this again! Thank you for sharing! ~ Connie
Besides the remembering, this recipe really is easy, and because of that, it’s one of my favorite homemade bread recipes to make.
I am able to fit both loaves on a single baking sheet, although you could easily half the recipe if one loaf is all you need.
I definitely need two loaves with all the hungry teenage boys living at my house!
Like most bread, it’s best when it fresh from the oven, but it does stay soft for a day or two after baking (I keep mine in a zip-top bag on the counter), so I can safely make both loaves because they always get eaten in that amount of time.
Feel free to leave off the sesame seeds, or use something else entirely if you prefer. Garlic salt and Parmesan cheese, or Italian seasoning are other good choices.
This recipe also makes fabulous sub sandwich buns. Just divide the dough into smaller portions (depending on how big you want your sandwiches to be) and proceed with the recipe as stated.
My family always raves when I make this bread. I hope you love it as much as we do.
Be sure to save this Potato Chip Crusted Grilled Corn recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Smothered Chicken Burritos
- All-purpose and bread flour
- Sesame seeds or other seasonings (optional)
Easy Italian Bread
Bake two delicious loaves of crusty Italian bread with this easy to make recipe.
- 1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cup bread flour
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg + 2 teaspoons water
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment, dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in the sugar and salt. Add the bread flour and mix well for 2-3 minutes on medium speed.
- Gradually blend in the all-purpose flour, about 1 cup at a time, until a soft dough forms–you may not use all of the flour.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Place the dough into a greased bowl and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour. Punch the dough down and turn onto a floured surface.
- Divide the dough in half and shape each portion into a loaf, approximately 12 inches long. Place each loaf, seam side down, onto a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Cover and let rise again until doubled in size, about 30 minutes. Using a sharp knife, make four shallow slashes across the top of each loaf.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and water. Brush egg mixture over the loaves and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 170Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 271mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 5g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
More Delicious Bread Recipes
Holiday Dinner Rolls
These special occasion dinner rolls are as pretty as they are delicious, and the recipe makes enough to feed a holiday crowd!
Make Ahead Freezer Rolls
Make your dough ahead of time, then thaw and bake these fluffy rolls at your convenience.
Easy Parmesan Garlic Knots
Refrigerated biscuit dough is rolled into ropes, then tied into knots and covered in herbs, butter and Parmesan cheese to create these irresistible and fun bread recipe.
Favorite Homemade White Bread
Delicious, soft, homemade white bread doesn't have to be intimidating with this simple recipe made with everyday ingredients you probably have on hand. There's nothing better than a slice of homemade bread!
Easy No-Knead Dutch Oven Bread
This slow rising yeast bread requires no kneading and very little mixing, and bakes up into a beautiful and delicious artisan-style loaf.
Rustic Rosemary Bread
This simple yeast bread is infused with fresh rosemary and sprinkled with sea salt for a beautiful loaf that goes well with almost any meal.
Who Dished it Up First: Adapted from Taste of Home.
Gina @ Kleinworth & Co.
That looks AMAZING. I have this thing about making my own bread. It’s so soothing. I would do it every day if I had the time. I WILL BE trying this for sure. Thanks Danelle.
Looks delicious. Nothing like homemade bread to keep a family happy!
Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!!! baking bread can be so nice!!! I will try it!!! un beso
Thanks so much Ada!
Bread Fun Recipes
A great bread recipe. This bread is baked to perfection. Delicious ans Delectable!!!!
Thank you for this recipe, it was delicious! We made ours vegan but it was the same flavor and texture. I’ll be mentioning it with a link on my own blog (hopefully you don’t mind). So delicious!
Made this bread today and it was delicious. I will definitely make this again! Thank you for sharing!
is it possible to use this recipe but separate the dough several times to make small individuals rolls?
I don’t see why not.
I made your Easy Italian Bread today and it is delicious. I love the aroma of bread baking in the oven. I wrapped up one loaf and put it in the freezer to serve with the lasagna that my sister is going to prepare, for our next sibling “game day”. Thanks for this great recipe.