RED VELVET SANDWICH COOKIES — These beautiful red sandwich cookies start with a red velvet cake mix, so they’re super easy to make, and always impressive on a holiday cookie tray. Filled with a sweet cream cheese frosting, they’re always a hit any time of year.
Everyone loves a sandwich cookie, because it’s like getting two cookies in one! And these Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies are perfect for the holiday season.
These beautiful red cookies start with Red Velvet cake mix, so they are super simple to make, and they turn out soft and chewy–the perfect texture for a sandwich cookie.
And the sweet cream cheese frosting is the perfect accompaniment to the red velvet chocolate flavor. Red velvet and cream cheese are pretty much a match made in heaven.
With their deep, rich color, these cookies always look beautiful on a Christmas cookie display, and they are loved by kids and grown-ups alike.
A sandwich cookie is the sort of thing that brings out the kid in everyone, especially during the holiday season.
If you’re like me and you like to get holiday baking done ahead of time, these cookies are perfect because they freeze beautifully and stay soft for several days.
If you want to add some extra holiday cheer to these cookies, you can roll the edges in some holiday sprinkles. Kids especially love helping add sprinkles!
If you’re thinking you can use this recipe with other cake mix flavors, you’re absolutely right! Chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, lemon….the possibilities are endless.
You could make different flavors of sandwich cookie for every season of the year.
Whether you’re an experienced baker or practically a pro, you’ll definitely want to add these Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies to your holiday baking bucket list.
Be sure to save this recipe for Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Red Velvet Sandwich Cookies
- Red velvet cake mix
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
For the cookies
- 2 boxes red velvet cake mix
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons flour
For the filling
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together the ingredients for the cookies until well combined. Roll into balls and place 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until cookies are just done and cracked on top. Do not overbake. Remove cookies to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile prepare the filling by beating the cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Gradually mix in the powdered sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Stir in the vanilla.
- Spread about a tablespoon of filling on the flat side of one cookie. Top with a second cookie and press down until the filling reaches the edge. Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 269Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 84mgSodium: 175mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 0gSugar: 21gProtein: 2g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: This is an original recipe
Last Updated on 2021-12-15 by Danelle