RESTAURANT STYLE FRENCH TOAST — Crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, this French toast is as good as any you’ll get in a restaurant. Serve with your favorite syrup or fruit topping.
French toast has never been a favorite of mine. Until I discovered how to make this Restaurant Style French Toast, that is!
In the past, my French toast has always turned out a little on the soggy side, which isn’t really my thing. And I couldn’t really get my family interested in it either.
The secret? After you’ve browned your French toast in a skillet, you put it on a baking sheet and pop it in the oven for 15 minutes or so. It comes out crispy every time!
Another reason I love this method–all the French toast is ready at once. I always hated standing over the skillet making French toast while everyone else ate. But now we can all sit down and enjoy our breakfast together.
Another secret to great French toast, in my opinion, is using a nice, thick slice of bread. I usually go with French bread (makes sense for French toast, right?), or Texas toast.
Challah bread is great too. Really almost any bread that is sliced at least in inch thick will do the trick. None of that skinny white sandwich bread though!
We love our French toast with good old maple syrup, but if we feel like going all out for breakfast, we’ll top it off with fresh fruit, whipped cream and powdered sugar.
Honestly, I never thought I’d be a fan of French toast, but the simple step of baking it in the oven has won me over. I love this recipe just as much as my favorite pancakes and waffles.
If you’ve always been a little disappointed with soggy French toasts, then you’ve got to try this Restaurant Style French Toast. You’re going to love it!
Be sure to save this Restaurant Style French Toast recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Restaurant Style French Toast
- Thick sliced bread
- Spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 6 (1 inch thick) slices of French bread or Texas toast
- 1-2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat
- In a large, shallow bowl or pie plate, whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Place bread slices in egg mixture, turning to coat well.
- Working in batches, brown bread sliced in butter until golden brown, 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer bread to a large baking sheet.
- Once all bread has been browned and transferred to the baking sheet, place in oven and bake until crispy and slightly puffed, 12-15 minutes.
- Serve with syrup or fruit.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 121Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 74mgSodium: 183mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 5g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from All Recipes