SLOW COOKER CHICKEN AND RICE — Chicken is slow cooked with creamy soups and spices, then served with rice in this classic comfort food dish.
When I’m craving comfort food that takes me back to my childhood, I make sure this Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice is on the menu.
This is the kind of dish my mom served to me and my siblings, and it’s the kind of dish I still love today. And it turns out my family loves it too.
While I definitely enjoy cooking and baking from scratch, I am certainly not above using things like canned soups or instant white rice.
I’m all about shortcuts in the kitchen, and this is the kind of recipe I can pretty much dump into my slow cooker and walk away.
I do recommend browning the chicken for added color and flavor, but even that step can be skipped if you’re really in a hurry.
Instant rice works great in this recipe because it cooks quickly in the slow cooker. If you don’t have instant rice handy, you can always use leftover cooked rice.
You can also cook regular rice separately and stir into into the chicken mixture just before serving.
This is a pretty basic recipe that lends itself well to additions like vegetables. Throwing in a bag of frozen mixed veggies with the instant rice is a great way to turn this dish into a complete meal.
This hearty, comforting chicken and rice dish is the kind of thing I start to crave when the nights become a little colder. It really does take me back to my childhood.
Who knows, maybe someday my own kids will reminisce about this delicious Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice. It’s definitely a family favorite!
Be sure to save this Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice
- Cream of chicken soup
- Cream of mushroom soup
- Chicken broth
- Produce: onions, celery, garlic, fresh parsley
- Spices: oregano, thyme, salt and pepper
- Instant rice
Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice
Chicken is slow cooked with creamy soups and spices, then served with rice in this classic comfort food dish.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4-6 chicken breasts
- 1 (10.5 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (10.5 oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1/2-2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dry thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dry oregano
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cups instant white rice (Minute Rice)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken breasts and brown and both sides.
- Combine the soups, 1 1/2 cups of broth, onion, celery, garlic, oregano and thyme in the bowl of a slow cooker. Stir to mix well.
- Transfer the browned chicken to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours, or until the chicken is tender. Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and cut or shred into bite size pieces.
- Return the chicken to the slow cooker and stir in the instant rice. Cover and cook on high for 20-25 minutes, or until rice is tender.
- Use a fork to fluff the rice and combine with the chicken. Add more broth if desired for a smoother consistency. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in fresh parsley just before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 376Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 110mgSodium: 1131mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 42g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
More Delicious Slow Cooker Recipes
Slow Cooker Chicken a la King
This classic dish, served on puff pastry, is loaded with tender chicken, red peppers, mushrooms and peas. And it's so easy to make in your slow cooker!
Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings
Loaded with tender chunks of chicken, carrots and celery, this slow cooker version of chicken and dumplings is perfect for a chilly fall evening.
Slow Cooker Pork Roast with Gravy
Tender, flavorful pork slow cooks in it's own gravy in this easy comfort food dinner that everyone loves. Don't forget the mashed potatoes!
Slow Cooker Chicken Burrito Filling
Chicken, rice, black beans and corn come together in this hearty slow cooker burrito filling!
Slow Cooker Swedish Meatballs
These slow cooker Swedish meatballs are so easy to make, thanks to the help of pre-made, frozen meatballs. The creamy sauce makes this dish pure comfort food.
Best Slow Cooker Spaghetti Sauce
Ground beef and tomato sauce, simmered in the slow cooker with garlic and plenty of seasonings makes this the tastiest spaghetti sauce you'll every try!
Creamy Slow Cooker Garlic Chicken
Chicken breasts are slow cooked with garlic cloves, then finished off with a creamy sauce.
Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie
Tender chunks of chicken and potato, with peas and carrots, are cooked in a creamy sauce, then topped off with wedges of flaky pie crust in this slow cooker version of classic comfort food.
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from The Seasoned Mom
Leave a Reply