SWEET AND SPICY ROASTED CHICKPEAS — Chickpeas are roasted in brown sugar and spices for a healthy, crunchy snack.
Well, the holidays are over, and it’s time to start thinking about New Year’s resolutions and healthier eating.
And when it comes to something to munch on between meals or for a late night snack, these Sweet and Spicy Roasted Chickpeas are one of my favorite healthy snacks.
This was delicious! I followed the recipe except for the cayenne pepper, since I didn’t have any and substituted with paprika. Nice, crunchy & highly recommended. ~ Millie
The first time I made these, they popped all over the oven like popcorn. I experimented with cooking temperatures and methods, and have reduced the popping to a minimum.
But be warned, you may hear a few noises coming from your oven during roasting. The key is getting your chickpeas really dry before you roast them.
I like to rinse mine in a colander, and then lay them out on some paper towels to dry.
Most recipes for roasted chickpeas I’ve seen call for one can of chickpeas, but seriously, I would eat that many in about 10 minutes. I can hardly wait for them to cool before I start digging in!
Feel free to change up the spices to your liking. This sweet and spicy version is my favorite though.
Just make sure the chickpeas are nice and crunchy when you remove them from the oven. Otherwise they tend to go a little soft when they’ve cooled.
I’ve stored these in a Ziploc bag or covered container for a few days and they’ve held up well.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE these!!! ~ Kelly
I’ve never managed to keep them around longer than that. If roasting only one can of chickpeas, you’ll want to reduce the cooking time slightly.
Be sure to save this recipe for Sweet and Spicy Roasted Chickpeas to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Sweet and Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
- Canned chickpeas
- Olive oil
- Spices: garlic salt, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper, cayenne pepper
- Brown sugar
- 2 (15 oz.) cans chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Rinse and drain chickpeas; dry well on paper towels.
- Place chickpeas on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Remove pan from oven ad shake. Return to oven for another 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine seasonings and brown sugar in a small bowl.
- Remove chickpeas from oven and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with spices and shake pan again to coat chickpeas with olive oil and seasonings.
- Return to oven and bake chickpeas for another 10-15 minutes, or until chickpeas are browned and very crunchy.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 120 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 340mg Carbohydrates: 17g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 7g Protein: 4g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: This is an original recipe