ULTIMATE CHEESE SAUCE — This smooth, creamy cheese sauce is packed with flavor and so versatile. Use it for veggies, French fries, nachos, burgers, pretzels–the possibilities are endless!
Everyone needs a go-to cheese sauce recipe in their collection, and this copycat version of Shake Shack’s cheese sauce really is the Ultimate Cheese Sauce recipe.
This recipe takes a little bit more time and effort than just melting some Velveeta, but it’s totally worth it! And of course there is Velveeta in the recipe!
As far as I’m concerned, all of the best cheese sauce recipes include Velveeta–it’s what makes things so smooth and creamy.
Trust me, when it comes to cheese sauce, it’s definitely not the time to get snooty about cheese.
There’s also sharp cheddar, and a hint of spice from jalapenos and peppercorns. Plus a few cups of heavy cream. Cheese sauce is also not a recipe where you want to worry about fat and calories.
My family’s favorite way to enjoy this cheese sauce is as a dip for homemade Chewy Pretzel Bites. It’s the perfect game day appetizer, and a great snack for movie or game night.
And you can use this recipe as a base for queso dip! Just add your favorite Tex-mex inspired ingredients, like chorizo, diced peppers, chopped tomatoes–whatever you like!
If you have any leftovers, I find the best way to reheat this sauce is in the microwave. You might need to add a little more milk or cream for the best consistency.
Their are so many ways you can use this Ultimate Cheese Sauce. It’s definitely a recipe you’ll want to have handy, because you’ll use it again and again.
Be sure to save this Ultimate Cheese Sauce recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Ultimate Cheese Sauce
- Vegetable oil
- Produce: onions, jalapenos
- Spices: peppercorns, salt
- White wine vinegar
- Heavy cream
- Velveeta or American cheese
- Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 jalapeno, halved
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 2 tablespoons peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups Velveeta or American cheese, cubed
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the jalapeno halves, onions and peppercorns. Sprinkle with salt and sauté for 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the white wine vinegar and water. Continue cooking until the vegetables are soft and the liquid has mostly evaporated.
- Add the cream and heat until just warm. Remove from heat and let stand for 20-30 minutes.
- After 20-30 minutes, pour the cream mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl. Return the strained cream to the saucepan.
- Return the cream mixture to the heat and bring to a low simmer. Stir in the cheeses. Reduce heat to low and continue cooking and whisking the cheese sauce until it is completely smooth.
- Serve immediately or transfer to a slow cooker to keep warm.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 374Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 100mgSodium: 671mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 0gSugar: 4gProtein: 14g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Taste of Home and Shake Shack