THREE CHEESE STUFFED SHELLS –Jumbo pasta shells stuffed with three cheeses and seasonings, then baked in your favorite marinara sauce.
My whole family loves these Three Cheese Stuffed Shells, which makes this meal a winner in my book. You really can’t go wrong stuffing anything with melted cheese, can you?
I’ve been making these stuffed shells for over 20 years (I got the recipe from my mom), and it’s my go to meal when I need to serve a crowd, or when I need to prep a freezer meal.
And of course it’s a great vegetarian option!
This has replaced my shells recipe. Very good! Thanks for sharing. ~ Lori
This recipe makes more than my family can eat in one sitting, so I usually make one pan to eat and stick another pan in my freezer for later. It’s a lifesaver when those hectic week nights roll around. You can even freeze the extra filling for later.
You can use manicotti pasta in place of the large shells, but I find the shells much easier to stuff. But either type of pasta is just fine!
I’ve tried several cheese stuffed pasta recipes, but this one is by far my favorite. Thanks to the addition of a bit of sour cream and some seasoned breadcrumbs, the consistency of the cheesy filling is just right.
And it’s so easy to add meat for an even heartier meal. Or use a prepared marinara sauce with meat if you’d like.
This is one of those go-to, tried and true recipes that will never let you down!
Be sure to save this Three Cheese Stuffed Shells recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Three Cheese Stuffed Shells
- Jumbo shell pasta
- Ricotta cheese
- Mozzarella cheese
- Monterrey jack cheese
- Sour cream
- Spices: oregano, basil, salt and pepper
- Jarred marinara sauce
Three Cheese Stuffed Shells
Jumbo pasta shells stuffed with three cheeses and seasonings, then baked in your favorite marinara sauce.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 (16 oz.) package jumbo shell pasta
- 1 (16 oz.) container ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/3 cup dried bread crumbs, seasoned
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 cups marinara sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, then rinse with cold water to cool so you can handle the pasta while stuffing.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine ricotta cheese, 1 cup mozzarella, Monterey Jack cheese, sour cream, bread crumbs, oregano, basil, and salt and pepper to taste; mix well.
- Spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and cover bottom of dish with a thin layer of marinara sauce.
- Fill shells with cheese mixture and place in dish; cover with remaining sauce. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella cheese on top of sauce.
- Bake, covered, for about 30-40 minutes or until cheese is melted and sauce starts bubbling. Uncover and bake an additional 5-10 minutes.
Keywords: cheese, shells, pasta
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like: