PUMPKIN GOOEY BUTTER CAKE — This easy pumpkin cake starts with a boxed cake mix and canned pumpkin puree for a delicious fall dessert everyone will love!
This Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake is a quick and easy pumpkin dessert that my whole family loves. Even my my husband, who doesn’t typically like pumpkin desserts, likes this one.
I happen to love pumpkin desserts, so I’m always looking for pumpkin recipes that my husband and kids enjoy too. Otherwise, I’d be eating an entire pan of Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake by myself.
I love gooey butter cakes and this pumpkin version does not disappoint. I made it last Thanksgiving and it was gone within minutes. ~ Shannon
This is a great recipe if you’re intimidated by the idea of making a pumpkin pie. And even if you’re a pumpkin pie making pro, this recipe is a wonderful, easy alternative.
I would even go so far as to say I like it more than traditional pumpkin pie. And I really like traditional pumpkin pie!
I liked to serve this dessert chilled, and once it’s cold, you can eat it with your hands, like a brownie. Although it really is delicious with a big dollop of whipped cream, in which case, I recommend using a plate.
This is a great alternative to pumpkin pie, especially if you are serving a crowd, because you’ll get about twice as many servings with this dessert as you would with a traditional pie.
I’ve made this and it’s dangerous!! So addicting. ~ Half Baked
I like to think of it as a delicious hybrid of cake and pumpkin pie. It’s like getting two desserts in one!
If you’d rather not use a boxed cake mix for the crust, a made-from-scratch shortbread base is also delicious.
Be sure to save this Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake
- Yellow cake mix
- Canned pumpkin
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
- Spices: nutmeg, cinnamon
Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake
This easy pumpkin cake starts with a boxed cake mix and canned pumpkin puree for a delicious fall dessert everyone will love!
- Prep Time: 15 min
- Cook Time: 45 min
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 16 servings
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 1 (18.25 oz) package yellow cake mix
- 1 egg
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 (15 oz.) can of pumpkin
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- To make the crust, combine the cake mix, egg and 8 tablespoons of melted butter and mix well. Pat the mixture into a lightly greased 9×13-inch baking pan.
- Prepare the filling by beating the cream cheese and pumpkin until smooth. Add the eggs, vanilla, and butter and mix together.
- Stir in the powdered sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Spread the pumpkin mixture evenly over the crust.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. Do not over bake, as the center should be a little gooey.
Keywords: pumpkin, cake, butter
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: This is a Paula Deen recipe that I found over at Baked Perfection.