EASY LEMON POKE CAKE — This super simple, delicious lemon cake starts with a boxed cake mix. Filled with tart lemon curd and topped with homemade whipped cream and fresh berries, it’s the perfect dessert to welcome spring.
When springs rolls around, I always start craving lemon desserts. So this Easy Lemon Poke Cake totally hit the spot. And it was a hit with my family too!
This cake starts with a yellow cake mix, so it’s super easy to put together, but still fancy enough to serve for company, Easter dinner, or Mother’s Day. Really, it’s the perfect cake for almost any occasion.
I did consider using a lemon cake mix, but after consulting with my family, the consensus was that in combination with the lemon curd, it would be too lemony.
I’m sure it would be delicious with a lemon cake mix, but the yellow cake mix and lemon curd was the perfect combination of sweet and tart. The homemade whipped cream and fresh berries were literally the icing on the cake!
Of course, you could always make your cake from scratch, but I’m all for saving time in the kitchen, and doctoring up a simple cake mix is such a great way to turn a boring dessert into something extra special.
I usually find lemon curd near the pie filling in my grocery store, but prepared lemon meringue pie filling would work just as well. In fact, lemon pie filling is pretty much lemon curd. So use whichever is easiest to find at your supermarket.
My husband and boys couldn’t stop raving about this lemony cake, and it disappeared within 24 hours. Which at my house means we have a winner!
If you’re looking for the perfect dessert to serve for spring and well into the summer, this Easy Lemon Poke Cake is a must try. And no one has to know how easy it was to make!
Be sure to save this Easy Lemon Poke Cake recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Easy Lemon Poke Cake
- Yellow cake mix plus ingredients called for on box
- Lemon curd
- Heavy cream
- Fresh berries
- 1 box yellow cake mix, plus ingredients called for on box (eggs, oil, water, etc.)
- 1 1/2 cups prepared lemon curd
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Fresh berries, for garnish
- Prepare cake according to package directions. Let cool for 5-10 minutes, then poke all over with the handle of a wooden spoon.
- Spread lemon curd evenly over cake, pressing curd into the holes with a spatula or the back of a spoon. Cover and refrigerate to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, whip the cream and sugar until soft peaks form. Spread over cooled cake. Refrigerate until serving. Top with fresh berries to serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 425 Total Fat: 22g Saturated Fat: 13g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 86mg Sodium: 385mg Carbohydrates: 55g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 38g Protein: 4g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Like Mother Like Daughter