And I’m happy to oblige the requests, because these peppermint meringues are so easy to make!
I made meringues for the 1st time ever today! These are SO easy to make. A nice light take on all of the heavy peppermint stuff around Christmas. ~ Erika
I like making smaller meringues because they’re the perfect size for stirring into hot chocolate, but you can make them any size you’d like.
Just keep an eye on them while they’re in the oven. If they start to brown, you’ll have to reduce your oven temperature and/or the cooking time.
I find that 1 1/2 inch meringues take about 90 minutes, but smaller meringues (Hershey Kiss size) are done in just over an hour.
For best results, I like to use room temperature eggs and a cold mixing bowl.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Peppermint Meringues
- Egg whites
- Cream of tartar
- Peppermint candies
- 4 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 20 peppermint candies, crushed
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large glass or metal mixing bowl, beat egg whites, salt, and cream of tartar to soft peaks. Gradually add sugar, continuing to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold in 1-2 tablespoons of the crushed peppermint. Drop by spoonfuls or pipe onto prepared cookies sheets, about 1 inch apart.
- Sprinkle remaining crushed peppermint over the cookies. Bake for 1 approximately 1 1/2 hours–baking time will vary slightly depending on the size of your meringues. Do not allow meringues to brown. They should be completely dry on the inside.
- When meringues are done, turn off the oven an leave the door ajar. Let meringues sit in the oven until completely cool. Loosen from parchment with a spatula.
- Meringues may be stored, loosely covered, in a cool dry place for up to 2 months.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 36 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 25 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 21mg Carbohydrates: 6g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 6g Protein: 0g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from allrecipes.com