CHEESY FOLDED TORTILLA BAKE — Tortillas are filled with a creamy cheese and green chili mixture, then topped with a spicy beef enchilada filling in this hearty Mexican inspired dish.
If you’re looking for a different way to serve an enchilada-style meal to your family, you’ve got to try this Cheesy Folded Tortilla Bake!
So when I came across a version of this folded tortilla bake online, I was intrigued.
Let me tell you, the results were phenomenal. My family loved them, and the recipe even made enough to share with neighbors–which is something that happens often now that two of my three boys live away from home most of the year.
Feel free to top this tortilla bake off with any of your favorite taco toppings, like salsa, sour cream, tomato, avocado or fresh cilantro.
The cream cheese and green chili filling in the tortillas is amazing, and although it seems a little inside-out, it really works to smother the tortillas in the ground beef topping.
My family prefers flour tortillas, but you could absolutely substitute corn tortillas, especially if you want to make the dish gluten-free.
This recipe was so easy to put together too, which is always a plus. And it freezes well, in case you can’t share with neighbors, or don’t want leftovers.
My family agreed this was one of the best new meals we’ve tried in quite a while. And that’s really saying something, because we try new dishes almost every day around here.
So if you’re looking to do cook up a Mexican-style meal that’s a little different, this Cheesy Folded Tortilla Bake is a must try!
Be sure to save this Cheesy Folded Tortilla Bake recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Cheesy Folded Tortilla Bake
- Ground beef
- Spices: cumin, salt and pepper
- Canned diced tomatoes and green chilies
- Enchilada sauce
- Cream cheese
- Canned diced green chilies
- Shredded Monterrey jack cheese
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 (10 oz.) cans diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 (10 oz.) can red enchilada sauce
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Monterrey jack cheese
- 12 (6 -inch) tortillas
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In a large skillet, cook ground beef and onion until beef is no longer pink. Drain if needed. Stir in the cumin, salt and pepper.
- Add the diced tomatoes and green chilies and enchilada sauce and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook for 8-10 minutes. Spread half of the meat sauce in the prepared pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix the cream cheese, diced green chilies, and 1/2 cup of Monterrey jack. Spread cream cheese mixture over tortillas. Fold tortillas in half and arrange over meat sauce in pan.
- Pour remaining meat sauce over tortillas. Bake for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for 5-10 minutes longer, or until cheese is melted.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 334Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 94mgSodium: 372mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 21g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like: