SKILLET SAUSAGE AND PEPPER CALZONE — This deep dish skillet calzone is loaded with Italian sausage, bell peppers and melted cheese. It’s a hearty, crowd-pleasing meal!
As much as I love pizza, I think I love calzones even more. I’m sure it’s the extra crust you get with a calzone that makes them so delicious! But making them for my whole family can be a bit tedious, which I why I love this Skillet Sausage and Pepper Calzone.
I can make one big calzone for everyone and it’s so much quicker and easier. It’s kind of like an amazing deep dish pizza with a top crust–and everyone knows the crust is the best part!
We’ve tried several variations on the skillet calzone, and this sausage and pepper version is our favorite.
To make things easy, I use refrigerated pizza crusts, but you could certainly go all-out and make your crust from scratch.
After making this a few times, I’ve developed a few tricks to ensure it comes out great every time. I put the sauce on top of the meat (rather than right on the crust) because that keep the bottom crust from getting too soggy.
Putting a layer of cheese in the bottom of the crust also helps with that. We love the sausage and pepper combination in this calzone, but mushrooms are another great addition. Just be sure to let this stand for 5-10 minutes before digging in!
We have a local pizza restaurant that serves deep dish pies with big, crusty edges. They always bring honey to your table to slather over your crust when you’ve eaten through all the toppings.
We love to do that with this calzone too. It’s a wonderful, sweet way to end the meal!
Be sure to save this Skillet Sausage and Pepper Calzone recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Skillet Sausage and Pepper Calzone
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 (13.8 oz.) refrigerated pizza crusts
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup chopped red or yellow sweet peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- Warm marinara sauce, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large skillet over medium heat cook sausage, onions and garlic until sausage is done. Stir in Italian seasoning. Drain off fat and set meat mixture aside.
- Shape one dough portion to a 12-inch circle. Press dough into the bottom and up the sides of a 10-inch skillet.
- Sprinkle half of the cheese over the bottom crust. Top with the meat mixture. Spread the 1/2 cup marinara sauce over the meat and sprinkle the peppers over the sauce. Top with the remaining cheese.
- Roll the remaining dough portion into another 12-inch circle. Place the dough over the filling. Pinch and roll the edges of bottom crust and top crust together to seal. Brush the top crust with olive oil, then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and garlic salt. Using the tip of a sharp knife, cut 3-4 slits in the top crust.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Let stand for 5-10 minutes before serving. Serve with warm marinara sauce for dipping.
- Serving Size: 6
SHOP THIS RECIPE:
Check out more of my essential kitchen tools.
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens