CAJUN ORZO SAUSAGE SKILLET — This easy one skillet meal features orzo pasta and smoked sausage in a creamy, spicy tomato based sauce. Ready in about 20 minutes, this is the perfect meal for busy week nights.
There’s nothing better than a quick, easy, one-dish meal that the whole family devours, which makes this Cajun Orzo Sausage Skillet a practically perfect dinner solution for any night of the week.
So I was pretty confident this dish would be a hit with my family, and it was! And since it comes together in about 20 minutes and only leaves me with one pan to wash, it was an even bigger hit with me.
The addition of some cream cheese to this recipe adds a rich, smooth flavor and texture that really makes this dish shine. Feel free to use low-fat or fat free cream cheese if you’d like a slightly less fattening result.
A bit of sour cream or heavy cream would also work well as a substitute. And feel free to adjust the amount of Cajun seasoning to suit your tastes.
I always try to keep some orzo and canned tomatoes in the pantry, and a smoked sausage in my freezer, because this is exactly the kind of meal I want to make when time is tight and I’m feeling uninspired.
Sometimes I have bell peppers on hand, sometimes I don’t. It doesn’t matter too much. This is the kind of recipe that you can easily adapt, so feel free to throw in whatever veggies are hanging out in your refrigerator.
Whatever you decide to do, one thing is for sure–everyone is going to clean their plate and come back for seconds. Although this does make for amazing leftovers, if you’re lucky enough to have any.
Quick, delicious, versatile, and with minimal clean-up required, this Cajun Orzo Sausage Skillet is a recipe everyone should have in their repertoire!
Be sure to save this Cajun Orzo Sausage Skillet recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Cajun Orzo Sausage Skillet
- Olive oil
- Produce: onions, garlic, red bell peppers, parsley
- Spices: Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper, red pepper flakes
- Smoked sausage
- Canned fire roasted diced tomatoes
- Chicken broth
- Cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (12 oz.) smoked or andouille sausage, sliced
- 8 ounces orzo pasta
- 1 (14 oz.) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1-2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened and cubed
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- In a large, deep skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onion and pepper and cook until just tender, 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook a few minutes more.
- Add the sliced sausage to the skillet and cook until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the orzo to the skillet and cook until toasted and golden, about 2 minutes. Stir in the diced tomatoes, chicken broth and Cajun seasoning. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until orzo is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in cream cheese and red pepper flakes, if using. Cook until cream cheese is melted and smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Before serving, sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 1367mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 10g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Delish