CAJUN ORZO SAUSAGE SKILLET — This easy one skillet meal features orzo pasta and smoked sausage in a creamy, spicy tomato based sauce. Ready in about 20 minutes, this is the perfect meal for busy week nights.
There’s nothing better than a quick, easy, one-dish meal that the whole family devours, which makes this Cajun Orzo Sausage Skillet a practically perfect dinner solution for any night of the week.
I know I’ve mentioned before how much my family loves orzo. It is without a doubt our favorite pasta, and possibly one of our favorite ingredients in general.
So I was pretty confident this dish would be a hit with my family, and it was! And since it comes together in about 20 minutes and only leaves me with one pan to wash, it was an even bigger hit with me.
The addition of some cream cheese to this recipe adds a rich, smooth flavor and texture that really makes this dish shine. Feel free to use low-fat or fat free cream cheese if you’d like a slightly less fattening result.
A bit of sour cream or heavy cream would also work well as a substitute. And feel free to adjust the amount of Cajun seasoning to suit your tastes.
I always try to keep some orzo and canned tomatoes in the pantry, and a smoked sausage in my freezer, because this is exactly the kind of meal I want to make when time is tight and I’m feeling uninspired.
Sometimes I have bell peppers on hand, sometimes I don’t. It doesn’t matter too much. This is the kind of recipe that you can easily adapt, so feel free to throw in whatever veggies are hanging out in your refrigerator.
Don’t have any sausage available? How about some shredded leftover chicken, or some shrimp. Or just add more veggies and make this into a vegetarian meal.
Whatever you decide to do, one thing is for sure–everyone is going to clean their plate and come back for seconds. Although this does make for amazing leftovers, if you’re lucky enough to have any.
Quick, delicious, versatile, and with minimal clean-up required, this Cajun Orzo Sausage Skillet is a recipe everyone should have in their repertoire!
Be sure to save this Cajun Orzo Sausage Skillet recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Cajun Orzo Sausage Skillet
- Olive oil
- Produce: onions, garlic, red bell peppers, parsley
- Spices: Cajun seasoning, salt and pepper, red pepper flakes
- Smoked sausage
- Canned fire roasted diced tomatoes
- Chicken broth
- Cream cheese
Cajun Orzo Sausage Skillet
This easy one skillet meal features orzo pasta and smoked sausage in a creamy, spicy tomato based sauce. Ready in about 20 minutes, this is the perfect meal for busy week nights.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (12 oz.) smoked or andouille sausage, sliced
- 8 ounces orzo pasta
- 1 (14 oz.) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1-2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened and cubed
- Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- In a large, deep skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onion and pepper and cook until just tender, 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook a few minutes more.
- Add the sliced sausage to the skillet and cook until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the orzo to the skillet and cook until toasted and golden, about 2 minutes. Stir in the diced tomatoes, chicken broth and Cajun seasoning. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until orzo is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in cream cheese and red pepper flakes, if using. Cook until cream cheese is melted and smooth. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Before serving, sprinkle with fresh chopped parsley, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 350Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 1367mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 10g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
More Delicious Orzo Recipes
Easy Quinoa Chickpea Soup with Lemon
This light, healthy soup is loaded with flavor and ready to eat in just twenty minutes. It's great for lunch or dinner.
Greek Lemon Rice Pilaf
Rice and orzo pasta are toasted, then simmered in broth and lemon juice, before being tossed with fresh herbs in this refreshing and delicious side dish.
Creamy Slow Cooker Meatball Orzo Stew
Meatballs are simmered in a creamy broth with orzo pasta, fresh thyme and Parmesan cheese in this hearty slow cooker soup recipe.
Mediterranean Orzo Salad
Orzo pasta is tossed with tomatoes, red pepper, olives and spinach and a simple balsamic vinaigrette for a light, healthy salad you can prepare in no time.
Creamy Chicken Orzo Pesto Soup
Orzo, chicken and vegetables in a creamy pesto broth.
Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
This delightfully light yet heart soup features tender chicken, thyme, and a hint of lemon. It's the perfect soup for those spring evenings that are still a bit chilly.
Easy Meatball Orzo Casserole
Orzo pasta, frozen meatballs, Alfredo sauce, pesto and spinach combine in this quick and easy casserole that the whole family will love.
Sausage Orzo and Spinach Soup
Italian sausage, orzo pasta and fresh spinach combine in a creamy tomato based broth in this creamy, hearty soup that's both easy and delicious.
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Delish
Leave a Reply