SLOW COOKER SWEET AND SOUR MEATBALLS — Meatballs, pineapple and peppers slow cooked in a tangy sweet and sour glaze.
Sweet and sour meatballs are one of the things I remember loving for dinner as a kid. These Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Meatballs remind of the ones my mom used to make, and they couldn’t be any easier.
This is one of those easy weeknight meals I can throw into the slow cooker in the morning and forget about it. And I know it will always go over well with my husband–who is a meatball fanatic–and my hungry teenage boys!
The meatballs, the peppers, and the big chunks of pineapple (my personal favorite) all come together in a delicious sweet and tangy sauce that thickens right in your slow cooker.
I’m telling you, this meal practically makes itself!
You can use any kind of sweet or bell peppers you have handy.
I’ve diced up bell peppers to use in this recipe, but I love grabbing a bag of the little sweet peppers and slicing them up for this meal. They just look so pretty, and taste so good!
I also like to use frozen meatballs in this dish for convenience sake, but you could certainly make your own. Just make sure they are fully cooked before you add them to the slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients.
Be sure to save this recipe for Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Meatballs to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Meatballs
- Frozen meatballs
- Pineapple chunks
- Brown sugar
- White vinegar
- Soy sauce
- Produce: garlic, sweet peppers, green onions
- Salt and pepper
- Rice, for serving
- 2 dozen frozen meatballs
- 1 (20 oz.) can pineapple chunks, drained and juices reserved
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups diced sweet peppers
- Hot cooked rice, for serving
- Sliced green onion, for garnish (optional)
- Place meatballs in a lightly greased slow cooker. Drain juice from canned pineapple into a glass measuring cup. Add enough water to equal 1 1/2 cups.
- Add brown sugar, cornstarch, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic and salt and pepper, to taste, to water/pineapple juice mixture and whisk to combine. Pour over meatballs in slow cooker.
- Add drained pineapple and peppers to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours, or until sauce has thickened.
- Serve over rice. Garnish with green onion, if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 310 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 25mg Sodium: 769mg Carbohydrates: 52g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 36g Protein: 8g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from All Recipes