SLOW COOKER TEX MEX CHEESY CHICKEN AND RICE — Chicken is slow cooked with beans, corn and southwest seasonings, then combined with cheese, rice and your favorite taco toppings for Tex Mex comfort food the whole family will love.
We’re huge fans of Mexican food at my house. And this Slow Cooker Tex Mex Cheesy Chicken and Rice is southwest comfort food at it’s finest. The fact that it’s made in the slow cooker makes it even better!
Let me warn you right off the bat, if you’ve got something against Velveeta, you should probably look away now.
I honestly attempted this recipe without the Velveeta, but it just wasn’t the same. So you kind of need it for this recipe to be as creamy and wonderful as it can possibly be.
Some things in life just need the processed cheese. Like queso. The sauce for this creamy chicken and rice is kind of like queso.
So just trust me on this one and use the Velveeta.
In addition to the creamy, cheesy chicken and rice, this easy meal is loaded with corn, black beans, southwest spices, green onions and fresh cilantro.
My family devoured this dinner, and everyone went back for seconds, including me!
If you’ve got some leftover rice, this is a great way to use it, since the recipe requires cooked rice. If not, you’ll have plenty of time to cook your rice while the chicken simmers away in the slow cooker.
This is one of those awesome recipes that lends itself well to adaptation. Sometimes I add diced bell peppers or jalapenos.
And you can top this off with any of your favorite taco toppings.
But the Fritos are must, in my opinion. They add a great salty crunch that puts this meal over the top. We also love fresh tomato, sliced jalapeno, avocado and sour cream.
I hope you love this Tex Mex Cheesy Chicken and Rice as much as my family does. Enjoy!
Be sure to save this Slow Cooker Tex Mex Cheesy Chicken and Rice recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Slow Cooker Tex Mex Cheesy Chicken and Rice
- Chicken breasts
- Taco seasoning
- Spices: cumin, salt and pepper
- Canned diced tomatoes and green chilies
- Black beans
- Frozen corn
- Velveeta cheese
- Cheddar cheese
- Produce: green onions, fresh cilantro
- Corn chips
Slow Cooker Tex Mex Cheesy Chicken and Rice
Chicken is slow cooked with beans, corn and southwest seasonings, then combined with cheese, rice and your favorite taco toppings for Tex Mex comfort food the whole family will love.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings
- Category: Main Dish
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 4-5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 oz.) can Rotel tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 4 ounces Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 2-3 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Fritos for topping, plus any additional desired toppings
- Spray slow cooker with cooking spray. In small bowl, mix taco seasoning mix, cumin, salt and pepper. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with seasoning mixture and add slow cooker.
- Pour Rotel tomatoes, beans and corn over chicken in slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours, or until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with two forks.
- Turn slow cooker to high. Add Velveeta and cheddar cheese to sauce in slow cooker and cook for 15 minutes. Beat with a whisk until cheeses are melted and smooth.
- Add rice to slow cooker, along with shredded chicken and stir to combine. Cover and cook 10-15 minutes more. Stir in green onions and cilantro just before serving
- Serve in bowls, topped with Fritos corn chips and your favorite taco toppings
Keywords: chicken, rice, cheese
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Betty Crocker