EASY HOMEMADE FLOUR TORTILLAS — Just five simple pantry ingredients come together to make the best flour tortillas you’ve ever had.
If you’ve never tried making your own flour tortillas at home, this recipe for Easy Homemade Flour Tortillas is a great place to start! These tortillas are perfect for tacos, burritos, and enchiladas, (or just eating on their own) and are such a simple, wonderful addition to any Mexican meal.
Sure, it’s not quite as quick as buying a package of tortillas from the grocery store, but it’s still a pretty quick process, and so worth the time and very minimal effort it takes to make tortillas from scratch.
In fact, once you’ve tasted homemade flour tortillas, you may never go back to store-bought again. Well, okay, except for all those nights that are crazy busy and you really need to feed your family.
But if you’ve got a few extra minutes to spare, making your own tortillas is not only fun, but the results are so much better than anything you can buy at the store!
Even better, you probably have everything you need to make these tortillas in the pantry right now. Except for maybe lard…..that’s not something I usually have on hand.
But don’t worry, you can substitute butter (which is what I usually use) or shortening and the results will still be delicious! Besides that, you just need flour, salt, baking powder and some hot water.
One of the most important things when making tortillas is to roll them really, really thin before cooking them. It’s a little tricky to get them nice and round like the store-bought variety, but really, who cares if they’re a little misshapen. They’re homemade, after all!
This simple, no-fuss tortilla recipe is the only one I use when I make tortillas at home. I still use the store-bought variety when time is tight, but I love making these tortillas from scratch almost as much as my family loves eating them!
Be sure to save this recipe for Easy Homemade Flour Tortillas to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Easy Homemade Flour Tortillas
- Baking powder
- Vegetable oil
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons lard, shortening or butter
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- Vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder. Mix in the lard or butter with your fingers until the flour resembles coarse meal.
- Add the water gradually until the dough comes together. Place on a lightly floured surface and knead for a few minutes, until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Divide the dough into 24 pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Roll the balls in vegetable oil and place on a cutting board or baking sheet. Cover with a towel and let rest for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. With a well-flour rolling pin, roll each ball into a very thin, round tortilla. Place on the hot skillet and cook until bubbly and golden. Flip and cook until golden on the other side. Place cooked tortilla in a tortilla warmer and repeat with the remaining dough.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 109Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 4mgSodium: 178mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 0gProtein: 2g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from All Recipes