BASIL CHICKEN WITH COCONUT CURRY SAUCE — Tender chunks of chicken are simmered in a coconut milk based sauce with plenty of basil and Indian spices.
Coconut milk based curries are one of my absolute favorites, and this Basil Chicken with Coconut Curry Sauce is no exception.
This is DELICIOUS! I’ve made it several times now and we love it! Thank you. ~ Sahm
Despite the lengthy looking ingredient list, this chicken curry comes together easily. Just make sure you leave enough time to marinate the chicken.
The longer, the better, of course, but even if you forget and throw it all together at the last minute, it will still be delicious.
My husband is not a big curry fan, but my kids devoured this, and to my surprise, they all asked for seconds. There’s nothing I love more than a meal my kids eat without complaint.
I recommend serving this over some hot cooked rice. I also like to throw in a handful of freshly chopped basil just before serving if I have some handy.
If you’ve never tried curry before, this recipe is a great place to start, since the flavors are pretty mild. Even my husband liked it more than most curries he’s tried.
One thing is for sure, this easy chicken curry recipe will be making a repeat appearance at our dinner table very soon.
Be sure to save this Basil Chicken with Coconut Curry Sauce recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Tips for Making Great Curry
Take your time: Good curry doesn’t have to take hours but you do want to allow ingredients such as onions to cook properly for the most flavor.
Seasoning: Don’t be afraid to be generous with your spices. Add a little sugar to tomato based curries to take away the acidity. A pinch of salt can also balance the dish.
If you do go a little overboard with your seasonings, add a squeeze of lemon juice to neutralize the excess.
Garnish: Serve toppings with your curry, like peanuts, golden raisins, green onions, chopped cilantro, coconut or toasted sesame seeds. They can add even more depth of flavor to your curry dish.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Basil Chicken with Coconut Curry Sauce
- Spices: curry powder, salt and pepper, chili powder, basil, ginger
- Olive oil
- Produce: red onion, garlic, jalapeno
- Coconut milk
- Rice, for serving
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 (14 oz.) can coconut milk (regular or light)
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3-4 cups hot cooked rice
- Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces. Place in medium bowl.
- Stir together curry powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper and chili powder. Sprinkle over chicken, tossing to coat evenly.
- Cover and chill for 1 to 2 hours.
- In a large nonstick frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Cook onion, basil, ginger, garlic and jalapeno, until onion is translucent.
- Add chicken and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook for 5-6 minutes until chicken is no longer pink.
- Combine coconut milk, cream and cornstarch and whisk well to combine.
- Carefully add to skillet, whisking vigorously.
- Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes. Serve over hot rice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 725 Total Fat: 21g Saturated Fat: 13g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 90mg Sodium: 430mg Carbohydrates: 95g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 2g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 35g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Slow Cooker Chicken Curry
This coconut milk based chicken curry simmers all day in the slow cooker for an easy, flavorful dinner. Serve with your favorite toppings!
Easy Peanut Chicken Stir Fry
Rice noodles, chicken and vegetables are tossed in a zippy peanut sauce in this Asian inspired recipe that's on the table in about 30 minutes.
Beef Pineapple Curry
Thinly sliced beef with pineapple chunks and red peppers in a creamy, coconut milk based curry.
Spicy Thai Peanut Noodles
Ramen noodles are sauteed in sweet and spicy sauce, then tossed with chopped peanuts and green onions in this easy vegetarian dish the whole family will love.
Homemade Thai Peanut Sauce
Coconut milk, peanut butter, curry paste, lime juice and seasonings come together in this flavorful sauce that's perfect on grilled chicken or your favorite stir-fry.
Slow Cooker Thai Green Curry
Tender chunks of beef are slow cooked with green curry paste and coconut milk, with plenty of healthy vegetables like spinach and green beans.
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe.