BELGIAN CHERRY PIE — With a yeasted dough crust, this unique and delicious cherry pie, with it’s sweetened cream cheese topping, is like a giant pastry you can share with family and friends.
If you’ve never had Belgian Cherry pie–or never even heard of it–you don’t want to wait another minute to try to this unique and delicious dessert!
Honestly, I’m not sure whether this is technically a pie or a giant pastry. It’s baked in a pie pan, and definitely has the look of a pie, but it tastes like a cherry cream cheese danish.
What really sets this pie apart is the yeasted dough crust. So yes, it does take a little more time to make than your typical pie crust, but trust me, it is so worth it!
Traditionally the topping for this pie is made with cream cheese and small curd cottage cheese, but I opted for a straight cream cheese topping since I’m not a big fan of cottage cheese.
To say this pie was a big hit with everyone in my family would be a huge understatement!
One of the many things I love about this pie is that you can pick up a slice and eat it with your hands–no plate or fork needed–which makes it perfect for backyard parties and barbecues.
And of course, when it comes to fillings, you’re not limited to cherry, although cherry pie filling is my personal favorite. Other popular fillings include apple and prune, but the possibilities are endless.
This pie is traditionally made for the Belgian celebration of Kermiss, and in the spirit of abundance, many recipes make a dozen pies or more.
I’ve scaled back this recipe to make two pies, which seemed a bit more reasonable for a family of five. Although I’m sure we could manage to eat a dozen of these fabulous pies.
If you love cream cheese pastries and you love pie, then this Belgian Cherry Pie is a must make dessert to add to your recipe box.
Be sure to save this Belgian Cherry Pie recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Belgian Cherry Pie
- Heavy cream
- Cream cheese
- Cherry pie filling
Belgian Cherry Pie
With a yeasted dough crust, this unique and delicious cherry pie, with it's sweetened cream cheese topping, is like a giant pastry you can share with family and friends.
For the crust
- 3 tablespoons warm water
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- Pinch of salt
- 1.5-2 cups flour
- 1 egg, beaten + 1 tablespoon water
For the filling and topping
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 (21 oz.) cans cherry pie filling
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the water, yeast and sugar. Let stand for 5-10 minutes, until foamy. Whisk in the cream, eggs, melted butter and salt.
- Gradually blend in the flour until a shaggy dough forms. Using the dough hook, knead for 6-8 minutes until dough is soft and shiny. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cream cheese topping by beating the cream cheese, egg and sugar with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray two 9-inch pie pans with non-stick cooking spray.
- Divide the dough in half. Press each portion of dough into the prepared pie pans in an even layer. Cover and let rise for about 20 minutes.
- Spread half of the cherry pie filling over each crust. Spoon half of the cream cheese filling over the cherries, leaving a one-inch space of exposed cherry filling.
- Whisk together one egg with 1 tablespoon water. Brush the edges of the crust with the egg wash. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbly. Cool completely before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 319Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 91mgSodium: 94mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 2gSugar: 10gProtein: 8g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
More Delicious Pie Recipes
Best Banana Cream Pie
A flaky pie crust is loaded with fresh sliced bananas and vanilla pudding, then topped with homemade whipped cream and toasted coconut in this classic, creamy pie.
Blackberry Sour Cream Pie
Fresh or frozen blackberries, sour cream, and a few pantry staples come together in this delightful pie that will quickly become a family favorite!
Apple Crumble Pie
Traditional apple pie filling topped off with a pecan and brown sugar streusel.
Frozen Chocolate Mousse Cherry Pie
This easy but elegant frozen dessert features cherries and chocolate mousse in a chocolate crumb crust.
Blackberry Peach Buttermilk Pie
Fresh blackberries and peaches add a fruity twist to this classic buttermilk pie.
Chocolate Pecan Pie
A Thanksgiving favorite, this classic pecan pie is made even more delicious with the addition of chocolate chips. Includes instructions for making ahead and freezing.
German Chocolate Fudge Pie
A rich, brownie-like pie filling is topped with a traditional German chocolate frosting in this decadent chocolate pie that's loaded with pecans and coconut.
Quick & Easy Skillet Apple Pie
This "tastes like homemade" apple pie starts with pre-made crust and apple pie filling, for an amazing fall dessert that's ready in almost no time!
Leave a Reply