BLUEBERRY LEMON BREAKFAST CAKE — Loaded with fresh blueberries and a hint of lemon zest, this simple breakfast cake is a great way to start any morning.
Anytime I hear the term “breakfast” and “cake” in a recipe title, I know I’m going to love it, and this Blueberry Lemon Breakfast Cake was no exception.
The recipe makes an 8 or 9-inch square pan, but it can easily be doubled if you’re feeding a large group. Or bake a double batch in two square pans and share with friends or freeze one for later.
Note that if you use the smaller, 8-inch pan, your cake will be a little bit thicker and you may need to cook it a few minutes longer.
And with two cups of fresh blueberries, this breakfast treat is absolutely bursting with blueberry goodness!
The best thing about this cake though has to be the crispy, sugary topping. Don’t skip the sugar topping–it’s what makes this cake uniquely delicious.
Sometimes, I even add a little extra sugar on top! And if you don’t have buttermilk handy, don’t worry.
You can make a quick buttermilk substitute by putting a tablespoon or so of white vinegar into a measuring cup, then adding regular milk to equal half a cup.
Just let that sit for 5-10 minutes before adding it to the batter, and it’s just as good as regular buttermilk.
If you’re looking for a special breakfast treat that’s easy to make and always a hit, then you’ve got to try this Blueberry Lemon Breakfast Cake. It’s a recipe you’ll find yourself making over and over again!
Be sure to save this Blueberry Lemon Breakfast Cake recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Blueberry Lemon Breakfast Cake
- Produce: lemons, blueberries
- Baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups plus 1 tablespoon flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries, washed and dried
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 or 9-inch square pan; set aside.
- With an electric mixer, beat the butter, lemon zest and 1 cup of sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix to combine. In a medium bowl, toss the blueberries with 1 tablespoon of flour; set aside.
- In another medium bowl, whisk together 1 cup flour, the baking powder and the salt. Stir half the flour mixture into the the butter mixture, followed by all of the buttermilk.
- Add the remaining flour mixture and stir until just combined. Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the top evenly with the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool on a wire rack for 15-20 minutes before slicing and serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 104Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 256mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 1g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Alexandra’s Kitchen