BUTTERMILK CHICKEN TENDERS — Chicken tenders are marinated in buttermilk and spices, then coated in seasoned flour and fried until they’re crispy on the outside, and tender and juicy inside.
I love fried chicken, and this recipe for Buttermilk Chicken Tenders makes it easy to fry up delicious, crispy chicken at home!
Honestly, doesn’t everyone love fried chicken? Well, besides vegetarians……but I suspect they probably secretly love it too! And we all know it’s because of that delicious, crispy coating.
Of course, it helps if the chicken comes out tender and juicy too, and the secret to that is the buttermilk marinade. If you’ve ever marinated your chicken in buttermilk, you know what I mean.
I don’t know what happens to the chicken, but the buttermilk ensures it comes out tender and juicy every time. If you’re prone to cooking chicken that’s too dry, it’s almost like magic!
A few basic spices, like paprika and garlic powder, up the flavor of the marinated chicken even more.
Of course, we all know that the crunchy coating is the star of any good fried chicken recipe, and their a a few secrets to doing that right too.
Actually, the secret to that is also buttermilk. Once you’ve mixed up your flour and spices, you mix in a little buttermilk to create a breading with a nice, clumpy texture.
And that’s how you get that great texture and crunch on your fried chicken! Who knew it was so easy?
Of course, you can spice up your breading any way you like, but I usually opt for traditional seasonings like paprika, garlic, and onion powder. And your favorite dipping sauces are a must!
If you love fried chicken, but you’ve been intimidated to make it at home, give these Buttermilk Chicken Tenders a try. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised by how easy (and delicious!) this recipe is.
Be sure to save recipe for Buttermilk Chicken Tenders to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Buttermilk Chicken Tenders
- Chicken tenders
- Spices: Garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper
- Oil for frying
Buttermilk Chicken Tenders
Chicken tenders are marinated in buttermilk and spices, then coated in seasoned flour and fried until they're crispy on the outside, and tender and juicy inside.
For the marinade
- 2 pounds chicken tenders
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
For the breading
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk
- Vegetable or canola oil, for frying
- In a large, zip-top bag, combine the chicken tenderloins with the marinade ingredients. Seal tightly and refrigerate for at least four hours, up to overnight.
- To make the breading, whisk together the flour and spices in a medium bowl. Add the buttermilk and stir with a fork until mixture is crumbly.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminium foil. Remove one or two chicken tenders from the bag and toss in the breading mixture to coat. Press the breading firmly onto the chicken. Place coated chicken on the prepared baking sheet.
- Add about 1 inch of oil to a large saute pan or wok. Heat over medium heat until oil shimmers and reaches a temperature of 350 degrees. Carefully place chicken tenders in hot oil. Do not crowd the pan.
- Cook until chicken is golden brown on both sides, flipping once halfway through cooking. Place cooked chicken tenders on a paper towel lined plate to drain. Fry remaining chicken, adding more oil to the pan as needed. Serve hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 622Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 2137mgCarbohydrates: 58gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 34g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
More Delicious Chicken Recipes
Seasoned breaded chicken breasts are fried until crispy, baked until done, then smothered in a delicious, creamy gravy. You'll crave this comfort food again and again.
Baked Chicken Breasts with Mushroom Cream Sauce
Chicken breasts are lightly breaded, then baked in a creamy sauce with mushrooms, almonds and celery in this easy but elegant dish that perfect for company or a week night meal.
Sweet Jalapeno Pineapple Boneless Wings
Breaded chicken bites are smothered in a sweet and spicy jalapeno pineapple sauce and served with grilled pineapple and sliced fresh jalapeno. A favorite of both kids and adults!
Orange Gorgonzola Chicken
An orange marmalade sauce and crumbled Gorgonzola cheese top sauteed chicken breasts in this easy but elegant meal.
Shortcut Apricot Soy Chicken
Frozen popcorn chicken is coated in a sweet and tangy apricot sauce in this quick and easy meal.
Crispy Cheddar Chicken
Tender chicken breast pieces are coated in a cheesy crumb crust, baked until golden, then topped with a simple chicken gravy.
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Once Upon a Chef
Leave a Reply