CHEESY GREEN CHILI CHICKEN AND RICE CASSEROLE — Chicken, rice, salsa verde and plenty of cheese combine in this hearty, comforting Tex-Mex casserole.
My husband ate rice casserole almost weekly as a kid, and even today, it’s not something he want to eat regularly. But it’s so easy and economical, I decided to spice it up a bit with salsa verde and green chilies.
Salsa verde (green salsa) is one of my family’s favorite condiments, so of course this dish was a huge hit with everyone–including my husband.
And you really can’t go wrong topping any casserole off with lots of bubbly, melted cheese!
Even with just the three of us left at home now, I probably should have doubled the recipe, because we all went back for seconds. And the leftovers are delicious too!
Even though there isn’t any canned soup in the recipe–not that I have anything against canned soup–this casserole still comes together quickly and easily.
You do need to plan ahead to have some cooked rice ready. I just start some rice in my rice cooker earlier in the day so I’m good to go when dinner time arrives.
And of course I opt for my favorite kitchen hack, the supermarket rotisserie chicken. But you can certainly cook your own chicken, or use any leftover chicken you have.
The green salsa and green chilies give this casserole just enough kick to make it stand out from the usual rice dishes you might serve. And you can always use Monterrey jack cheese if pepper jack is too spicy for you.
This Cheesy Green Chili Chicken and Rice Casserole is a great way to change up your dinner time routine. I hope you love it as much as we do!
Be sure to save this Cheesy Green Chili Chicken and Rice Casserole recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Cheesy Green Chili Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Salsa verde
- Produce: green onions, garlic, cilantro
- Canned green chilies
- Salt and pepper
- Chicken broth
- Pepper jack cheese
- Sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup salsa verde
- 1 (4 oz.) can diced green chilies
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups pepper jack cheese
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish (optional)
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Stir in flour and cook a few minutes more.
- Whisk in broth and milk until smooth. Bring to a simmer and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in salsa verde, diced chilies, and salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in chicken, rice, green onions, sour cream, and one cup of the cheese until well combined. Pour the mixture into a lightly greased, 9-inch (or similar sized) baking dish.
- Preheat broiler. Sprinkle the casserole with the remaining cheese. Broil until cheese is golden brown and bubbly, 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle with freshly chopped cilantro before serving, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 419Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 83mgSodium: 539mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 24g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: This is an original recipe