CHEWY BAKERY STYLE SUGAR COOKIES — These chewy, drop-style sugar cookies require no chilling, so they’re quick and easy to make, and always a favorite. Rolling them in sanding sugar before baking give them a bit of sparkle and a crunchy texture that everyone loves.
After chocolate chip, sugar cookies are probably my favorite cookie, and with no rolling or cutting required, these Chewy Bakery Style Sugar Cookies are my favorite kind of sugar cookie to make.
Like I said, I love sugar cookies, but I don’t love all of the rolling, cutting and chilling that’s usually required to make cut-out cookies. When I’m craving a sugar cookie, I want to satisfy that craving as quickly as possible.
And this is just the recipe to do satisfy that craving. The dough is made with simple pantry ingredients that you probably always have on hand, and it comes together in just a few minutes.
The thing that makes these cookies extra special is the coating of sanding sugar. It give the cookies a beautiful sparkle, and also a unique and delicious texture.
You can roll the cookie dough in regular granulated sugar if you’d like, but this is one recipe where I definitely recommend buying that one extra ingredient. You can also use colored sparkling sugar for holidays and other special occasions.
These sugar cookies remind me of the kind they sell in coffee and sandwich shops, right at the register, where I can never resist them. And my husband always chooses a sugar cookie with his combo meal instead of chips.
Personally I like to go for chips and a cookie–needless to say, my husband is pretty excited that we can now whip up these bakery-style sugar cookies and time we want.
While this is definitely a year-round, go-to recipe, I think the added sparkle makes these special enough for the holidays, and I often include them on my Christmas cookie baking list.
These cookies are so easy, but still elegant and delicious enough for any special occasion–not just Christmas, but New Year’s Eve, Mother’s Day, Easter, baby showers and birthday parties.
If you only have on sugar cookie recipe in your collection, it’s got to be these Chewy Bakery Style Sugar Cookies. You’ll make them again and again.
Be sure to save this recipe for Chewy Bakery-Style Sugar Cookies to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Chewy Bakery-Style Sugar Cookies
- Baking soda
- Cream of tartar
- Granulated sugar
- Sanding sugar
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup sanding sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks and vanilla and mix well.
- Gradually add the flour, mixture mixing until just combined. Place the sanding sugar in a small bowl.
- Roll dough into walnut sized balls, then roll the balls in the sanding sugar to coat. Place on prepared baking sheets, 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the edges are just golden. Do not overbake. Let cool on cookie sheet for 2-3 minutes before transferring cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 24 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 198Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 51mgSodium: 159mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 0gSugar: 19gProtein: 2g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Magnolia Bakery