COPYCAT CHERRY GARCIA ICE CREAM — Homemade vanilla ice cream with cherries and dark chocolate. Just like Ben and Jerry make!
When we first moved to Colorado almost 20 years ago, I was so excited to have a Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream Shop in town. I’m even more excited to share this Copycat Cherry Garcia Ice Cream with you!
Back then my favorite flavor was Cherry Garcia, and it still is, all these years and ice cream flavors later.
If you’ve never had Cherry Garcia ice cream before, you really must try this recipe! Vanilla ice cream with shaved dark chocolate and cherries.
As far as I’m concerned, chocolate and cherries are a match made in heaven. Adding them to ice cream is even better!
I use the Cuisinart ice cream maker and I love it. If you’re in the market for an ice cream maker, I highly recommend it.
I adapted this recipe straight from Ben and Jerry’s Ice Cream and Dessert Handbook, so you know it’s going to be as authentic as it gets.
Their recipe calls for fresh cherries, but I find that fresh fruit freezes so well in ice cream, it’s kind of unpleasant to sink your teeth into it.
So I used frozen cherries, which surprisingly end up being easier to bite into once they’re mixed in to the ice cream.
Any dark chocolate bar will work in this recipe, but I find that Hershey’s Special Dark tends to be a bit waxier than other brands, which means it shaves more easily. But ultimately, you can’t go wrong no matter what kind of chocolate you use.
If you only make one homemade ice cream this summer, make this Copycat Cherry Garcia Ice Cream!
Be sure to save this Copycat Cherry Garcia Ice Cream recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Copycat Cherry Garcia Ice Cream
- Dark chocolate
- Frozen cherries
- Heavy cream
- 1/3 cup shaved dark chocolate
- 1/3 cup frozen sweet dark cherries, halved
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- Place the shaved chocolate and cherries in separate bowls, cover and refrigerator while you mix the ice cream.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until light and fluffy. Gradually add the sugar and whisk until completely blended. Whisk in the cream and milk, then stir in the vanilla and salt.
- Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions.
- About 2 minutes before the ice cream is done, add the chocolate and cherries. Transfer the ice cream to a freezer safe container and freeze until ready to serve.
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Ben and Jerry, of course!