CREAMY CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP — Loaded with chicken, black beans and corn, this creamy tortilla soup is pure comfort food.
This Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup is one of my favorite meals on a cold day. I like to think of it as Tex-Mex comfort food at it’s finest.
I really love that this soup is so versatile. You can use more or less spice, or leave out the chicken for a vegetarian version. Plus, the sky is the limit with the different toppings you can add.
Just made this soup tonight, great taste, easy to make. Omitted the jalapeno’s since some of the family doesn’t care for that kind of heat, but we will make it again in the future. Loved it. ~ Shawna
If you don’t like spicy food, I recommend leaving out the canned chili in adobo. I add just a bit, because I love the smoky flavor. But it is super spicy, so just add a bit at a time if you’re worried.
And don’t worry about all those chilies left in the can. Just divide them into small portions and freeze them in zip top bags for later.
This is one of those recipes I’ve been making for years, and my family still raves about it every time it’s on the menu.
We don’t repeat a lot of recipes around here, but this creamy soup is requested often by my husband and boys.
Made this tonight and it turned out great. ~ Larry
I love to top my tortilla soup with fresh avocado and tomatoes. The boys in my house tend to go for the shredded cheese and crushed tortilla chips.
No matter how you finish it off, this is a hearty, easy to make meal that my whole family loves!
Be sure to save this Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Olive oil
- Produce: onions, garlic, jalapeno, fresh cilantro
- Canned chipotles in adobo
- Chicken or vegetable broth
- Canned diced tomatoes and green chilies
- Spices: chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper
- Canned black beans
- Frozen corn
- Heavy cream
- Sour cream
- Optional toppings: avocado, cheese, green onions, tomatoes, etc.
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons chopped chipotle in adobo (from a can)
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Chopped avocado
- Shredded cheese
- Sour cream
- Tortilla chips
- Sliced green onion
- Diced tomato
- Lime wedges
- Chopped cilantro
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, jalapeño and chipotle in adobo and saute for 2-3 minutes, or until onion is soft.
- Add chicken broth, diced tomatoes with green chilies, chili powder, cumin, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in cooked chicken, black beans and corn and simmer for 10-15 minutes more.
- In a medium bowl, stir together cream and cornmeal. Add mixture to soup and mix well.
- Return to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Stir in sour cream and cilantro just before serving.
- Serve warm with any (or all) of the desired optional toppings.
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Cooking Classy.