EASY BLACK PEPPER BEEF — Tender chunks of beef are sauteed with bell peppers, onions and lots of black pepper in this delicious Asian recipe that’s so easy to make at home!
This past Christmas, my family gave me everything I’d ever need to recreate our favorite Asian dishes at home, including a fancy new wok! This Easy Black Pepper Beef was the first thing I made, and believe me, it did not disappoint.
I knew I wanted to start off with something simple, which for me meant nothing breaded and deep fried.
Besides being easy to make a loaded with fabulous flavors, since it’s not breaded and deep fried, this black pepper beef is also pretty healthy, with your protein and veggies all in one dish.
We served it over hot cooked rice with a sprinkling of chopped green onions, and it was a huge hit with everyone in my family.
If you don’t have a wok, don’t worry. This can just as easily be made in a large saute pan. But I must say, I really do love the wok I got for Christmas (I link to it in the recipe card).
It’s a huge, deep, all-purpose pan that I use for all kinds of things, not just making Asian food.
I did find the Maggi seasoning sauce at my local Kroger store, but I often order those kind of specialty ingredients on Amazon if I can’t find them locally.
If you’d like to recreate Chinese take-out at home, this simple stir-fry is a great place to start.
One last really awesome tip for super tender meat–coat your sliced beef in a teaspoon of baking soda and let it stand for 15 minutes. Just be sure to rinse the baking soda off before adding the meat to the marinade.
I hope you love this Easy Black Pepper Beef as much as we did!
Be sure to save this Easy Black Pepper Beef recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Tips for Making Perfect Rice
How much water? You’ll often hear that you should use 2 cups of water per cup of rice. But I find my rice is fluffier when I use 1 3/4 cups water per cup of rice.
Different types of rice (brown, Basmati, short/long grain, etc.) may require different ratios of water. Don’t forget to add about a teaspoon of salt to the water before you add the rice.
Cooking time: Let your rice simmer on low for about 18 minutes, then remove from heat and allow the rice to steam in the pot for another 5 minutes. Do not uncover (or stir) your rice during cooking.
Serving: When your rice is done, fluff it with a fork to separate the grains, rather than stirring it with a spoon.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Easy Black Pepper Beef
- Flank steak
- Vegetable oil and sesame oil
- Produce: garlic, fresh ginger, red and green bell peppers, onion
- Salt and pepper
- Maggi seasoning sauce
- Soy sauce
- Fish sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
- Chinese rice wine
For the beef
- 8 ounces flank steak, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1-2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced onion
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Chopped green onions, for garnish
For the marinade
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Maggi seasoning sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Chinese rice wine
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Cooked rice, for serving
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a medium bowl. Add the sliced beef and let stand at room temperature for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat one tablespoon of vegetable oil in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook until meat is just browned on the outside, but still pink in the middle. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add the garlic and ginger to the wok and cook until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Add the peppers, onion and black pepper and cook until peppers are just crisp-tender. Season with salt, to taste.
- Return the beef to the wok and cook until the beef is cooked through, about 1-2 more minutes. Serve over hot cooked rice with chopped green onions for garnish, if desired.
Total time includes marinading beef.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 217Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 528mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 17g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Rasa Malaysia
Last Updated on 2019-06-28 by Danelle