FOUR SPICE CRACKLES — Chewy, gingersnap style cookies with cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg. Perfect for the holiday season!
Sugar and spice and everything nice, that’s what these Four Spice Crackles are made of. If you only make one cookie this holiday season, it should be this one!
These cookies are one of our all-time favorites, and one of the first recipes I ever shared on this blog. I still get compliments on them all these years later.
Great recipe. I loved them and so did everyone I shared them with. Thanks! ~ Susan
As delicious as they are, I always hesitate to make them at Christmas time, thinking such a simple cookie can’t compete with all the other fancy offerings that show up during the holidays.
But I couldn’t be more wrong. Just this year, my 17 year-old declared they were still his favorite, out of all the holiday treats I make.
They’re kind of my favorite holiday cookie too. Loaded with holiday spices like cinnamon and cloves, and rolled in coarse sugar for some festive sparkle, this is the kind of cookie that’s always going to be a classic at Christmas time.
These gingersnap-like cookies are loved by kids and adults of all ages. I think it must be the wonderful gingerbread-like aroma. Or the perfectly chewy texture.
YOU HAVE TO STOP! We made these yesterday to see how they were before making them to send in a care package. Like cookies need a trial run right? I could not stop at just one.
Neither could my kids which is why they were ALL gone this morning. They are delicious and smell like heaven. ~ Megan
For the softest cookies, make them big and bake them for about 8 minutes. If you like a crispy gingersnap, make them a smaller or bake them longer.
I recommend removing them from the oven as soon as the tops start to crack. You definitely don’t want to overbake these cookies. And if you can’t find the coarse, sparkling sugar, regular sugar will work just fine.
Be sure to save this Four Spice Crackles recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Four Spice Crackle Cookies
- Brown sugar
- Baking soda
- Spices: salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg
- Sparkling sugar (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Additional sugar or sanding sugar (about 1 cup) for coating cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in molasses.
- Combine the flour, baking soda, salt and spices; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Refrigerate for 30-40 minutes, or until dough is easy to handle.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls, then roll in sugar.
- Place 2 inches apart on lightly greased or parchment lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until cookies are lightly browned and cracked on top. Cool one minute before removing to wire racks.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 48 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 142 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 23mg Sodium: 154mg Carbohydrates: 20g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 11g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 2g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from allrecipes.com