GRILLED PARMESAN GARLIC ASPARAGUS — Fresh asparagus spears are cooked on the grill with a dash of garlic salt, then finished off with a sprinkling of grated Parmesan cheese. Easy, healthy and delicious!
I’m so excited that market season is finally here again! I love sharing weekly farmers market recipes and I’m already looking forward to what this season has in store. This week I picked up some fresh asparagus at my local market for this Grilled Parmesan Garlic Asparagus.
If you’ve never tried grilling asparagus, you really should. It’s super simple and has a wonderful flavor. You can place a pan right on the grill or use a grilling basket.
Or you can do what I do and just construct a make-shift grilling tray out of some aluminum foil, which makes clean-up a breeze!
We like to grill our asparagus with some olive oil, garlic salt and pepper, then finish it off with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese. Even my picky eaters enjoy it cooked this way!
Feel free to substitute butter for olive oil or mix up the seasonings to suit your tastes.
Tips for Choosing and Storing Asparagus
Appearance: Fresh asparagus stalks are firm, straight and smooth. Look for stalks that have a rich green color with a small amount of white at the bottom.
Asparagus stalks should be firm and straight, not limp. The asparagus tips should be tightly closed and compact–like a paintbrush–with purple highlights. Make sure the tips are not soft or mushy.
Size: It’s really not true that thinner asparagus is more tender and flavorful than thicker asparagus. As long as asparagus is cooked properly, any size or thickness should taste good.
Storing: The best way to keep asparagus fresh is to trim about a half-inch from the ends of the asparagus, then stand the stalks upright in a jar or glass with about an inch of cold water in the bottom. Cover with a plastic bag and keep in the refrigerator for three to four days.
The goal is to keep the stems moist without getting the rest of the asparagus wet. Do not wash asparagus before storing.
Be sure to save this Grilled Parmesan Garlic Asparagus recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Grilled Parmesan Asparagus
- Fresh asparagus
- Olive oil
- Spices: garlic salt, pepper
- Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat outdoor grill for medium heat.
- Using a double thickness of aluminum foil, make a tray with raised sides to hold the asparagus. You can also use a small baking pan with sides, just make sure you don't mind putting it on the grill. Drizzle the aluminum tray or baking pan with a bit of olive oil.
- Place the asparagus on the pan in a single layer. Drizzle with another tablespoon or so of olive oil, then sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper.
- Grill for 7-10 minutes, or until asparagus is crisp-tender. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 91Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 240mgCarbohydrates: 5gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 3g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Or Whatever You Do