ITALIAN SUB SANDWICH TORTILLA PINWHEELS — Flour tortillas are layered with a savory cream cheese spread and Italian meats and cheese, then rolled and sliced for the perfect finger food.
Recently I was asked to create a variety of appetizers for a teacher appreciation event, with about 120 people attending. So I’ve been searching for tasty recipes ideas that can be made ahead and will easily feed a crowd.
If you’re looking for a delicious way to feed a crowd, or just to feed your family, look no further than these Italian Sub Sandwich Tortilla Pinwheels.
These roll ups are terrific! My husband loved them, too. I anticipate making these many times in the future; thanks for a great recipe! ~ Diane
Since tortilla pinwheels are absolutely perfect for this kind of occasion, I’ve been experimenting with several different fillings, and these Italian Sub Sandwich Tortilla Pinwheels were a big hit with my family.
These tasty tortilla roll-ups start with a cream cheese spread that’s loaded with garlic, onions, olives, cheese, peppers and Italian seasoning.
The cream cheese filling alone was pretty amazing with the tortillas, so if you’d prefer a meatless version of this recipe, I can assure you, it will be delicious!
But since it wouldn’t really resemble an Italian sub without the meat, everything is wrapped up with salami, pepperoni and lettuce for a delicious appetizer, or even a light lunch.
And my boys love these pinwheels for after school snacks!
Of course, just like a sub sandwich, you can omit or substitute your favorite ingredients. I often use sliced deli ham in place of either the salami or pepperoni. And almost any kind of cheese will work.
If you want to spice these pinwheels up a bit, use a jalapeno instead of a red pepper, or toss in some red pepper flakes.
However you prepare them, these Italian Sub Sandwich Tortilla Pinwheels are sure to be a hit with your friends and family
Be sure to save recipe for Italian Sub Sandwich Tortilla Pinwheels to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Italian Sub Sandwich Tortilla Pinwheels
- Cream cheese
- Italian dressing mix
- Banana peppers
- Produce: red onion, green onions, red pepper, lettuce
- Black olives
- Mozzarella cheese
- 8 medium flour tortillas
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon Italian dressing mix
- 2-3 tablespoons finely chopped banana peppers
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 2-3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup diced red pepper
- 1 (4 oz.) can chopped black olives, drained
- 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 6 ounces sliced pepperoni
- 6 ounces sliced salami
- 8-10 Romain lettuce leaves, washed, dried and core removed
- In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, salad dressing mix, banana pepper, red onion, green onion, red pepper, olives and shredded cheese. Mix well, Alternately, you can mix the cream cheese filling in the bowl of a stand mixer on low speed.
- Spread about 1/4 cup of the cream cheese mixture over a tortilla.
- Place 3-4 slices each of pepperoni and salami over the cream cheese mixture, leaving about 1/2 inch around the edge. Don’t add too much meat or the tortilla will be hard to roll.
- Place a leaf of Romain lettuce in the center of the tortilla. Roll up tightly.
- Place wooden picks about 1-inch apart down the center of the rolled tortilla. Cut in between the picks to form pinwheels. Repeat with remaining tortillas and fillings. Refrigerate until serving.
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: This is an original recipe