MASON JAR LEMON MERINGUE PIES — These cute little lemon meringue pies are so quick and easy to make, and perfect for any special occasion. The trick is to eat just one!
I confess, lemon meringue pie is a dessert that’s always challenged me–until I discovered these Mason Jar Lemon Meringue Pies, that is!
Soggy crust and weepy meringue are some of the more common issues I usually run into when making lemon meringue pie.
It just seems like whenever I try to slice a homemade lemon meringue pie, the meringue slides right off, and although it usually tastes fine, it’s a huge mess.
Then I decided to try making lemon meringue pie in individual sized Mason jars and all my problems were solved! I used 4 ounce jars and they worked perfectly!
And besides being so much quicker and easier than traditional lemon meringue pies, this smaller version is also cute and fun. They’re great for baby showers, Easter, or any spring celebration.
First, these little pies feature a graham cracker crust, which doesn’t go soggy, especially since these pies only bake for 10 minutes.
And even if moisture collects under the meringue, it’s not a big deal, because these pies are eaten right from the jar, so that meringue isn’t going to slide anywhere.
Did I mention these little pies are absolutely delicious and minus the required refrigeration time, only take about 15 minutes to make?
And there’s something about serving dessert in a Mason jar that just makes it tastes better, if you ask me. They can also be made the day before, so they’re great for entertaining.
My boys all love these Mason Jar Lemon Meringue Pies, and everyone is thrilled that I’ve discovered a lemon meringue pie recipe that I’m happy to whip up any time!
Be sure to save this recipe for Mason Jar Lemon Meringue Pies to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Mason Jar Lemon Meringue Pies
- Graham cracker crumbs
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Lemons and lemon juice
- Cream of tartar
For the crust
- 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
For the filling
- 1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- Zest of one lemon
For the meringue
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place 6 Mason jars on a rimmed baking sheet.
- In a medium bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, 1 teaspoon sugar and melted butter. Divide crumb mixture evenly between the 6 Mason jars.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sweetened condensed milk, egg yolks, lemon juice and zest. Divide lemon mixture evenly between the 6 jars.
- With an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until frothy. With the mixer still running, gradually add the 3 tablespoons of sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form. Spoon the meringue over the lemon filling.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the meringue is golden. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 155Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 105mgSodium: 107mgCarbohydrates: 19gFiber: 1gSugar: 13gProtein: 4g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Stone Soup