ONE POT SPICY CHICKEN RIGGIES — This one pot meal features rigatoni pasta and chicken in a spicy tomato cream sauce.
I’ve got an awesome one pot meal for you today. This is the first time we’ve tried Chicken Riggies at our house, and these One Pot Spicy Chicken Riggies were a huge hit.
Riggies is a regional specialty from the Utica, New York area made with chicken, rigatoni and hot or sweet peppers in a spicy cream and tomato sauce. What’s not to love about that?
You’ll definitely want to use a large skillet or saute pan for this.
It makes enough to feed a crowd, and even with 5 of us, we had enough for leftovers the next day.
Not that anyone was complaining. My whole family–even the picky eaters–loved this easy pasta dish.
As far as I’m concerned, the best part is that I only had one pot to clean afterwards!
If you want to speed things up, you can use a shredded rotisserie chicken and add it in after the onions and garlic cook.
You can also adjust the spice level by adding more or less jalapenos and red pepper flakes, or omitting them entirely if you prefer a non-spicy version.
Either way, Chicken Riggies are sure to become a family favorite!
Be sure to save this recipe for One Pot Spicy Chicken Riggies to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make One Pot Spicy Chicken Riggies
- Olive oil
- Produce: garlic, onion, red bell peppers, jalapenos, fresh basil
- Crushed tomatoes
- Chicken broth
- Spices: salt and pepper, red pepper flakes
- Heavy cream
- Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and sliced into thin strips
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 16 ounces uncooked rigatoni pasta
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- In a large deep skillet or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, onion and chicken and saute until the chicken is just browned and the onions are soft.
- Stir in the peppers and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes, broth and water and bring to a simmer. Carefully stir in the pasta and bring to a low boil. Continue to cook, stirring often, until the pasta is just tender, about 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add the butter, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. When the butter completely melts into the pasta, add in the cream and Parmesan cheese.
- Simmer for 10-15 more minutes, stirring occasionally, until pasta is tender.
- Stir in the fresh basil and serve warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 386Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 85mgSodium: 572mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 25g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Host the Toast