ONE POT SPICY CHICKEN RIGGIES — This one pot meal features rigatoni pasta and chicken in a spicy tomato cream sauce.
I’ve got an awesome one pot meal for you today. This is the first time we’ve tried Chicken Riggies at our house, and these One Pot Spicy Chicken Riggies were a huge hit.
Riggies is a regional specialty from the Utica, New York area made with chicken, rigatoni and hot or sweet peppers in a spicy cream and tomato sauce. What’s not to love about that?
You’ll definitely want to use a large skillet or saute pan for this.
It makes enough to feed a crowd, and even with 5 of us, we had enough for leftovers the next day.
Not that anyone was complaining. My whole family–even the picky eaters–loved this easy pasta dish. I mean, what’s not to love about pasta and chicken in a creamy sauce, right?
As far as I’m concerned, the best part is that I only had one pot to clean afterwards!
If you want to speed things up, you can use a shredded rotisserie chicken and add it in after the onions and garlic cook. To be honest, that’s usually what I do.
Because a supermarket rotisserie chicken is hands-down my favorite kitchen shortcut.
You can also adjust the spice level by adding more or less jalapenos and red pepper flakes, or omitting them entirely if you prefer a non-spicy version.
Either way, this recipe for One Pot Spicy Chicken Riggies are sure to become a family favorite!
Be sure to save this recipe for One Pot Spicy Chicken Riggies to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make One Pot Spicy Chicken Riggies
- Olive oil
- Produce: garlic, onion, red bell peppers, jalapenos, fresh basil
- Crushed tomatoes
- Chicken broth
- Spices: salt and pepper, red pepper flakes
- Heavy cream
- Parmesan cheese
One Pot Spicy Chicken Riggies
This one pot meal features rigatoni pasta and chicken in a spicy tomato cream sauce.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and sliced into thin strips
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 16 ounces uncooked rigatoni pasta
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- In a large deep skillet or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, onion and chicken and saute until the chicken is just browned and the onions are soft.
- Stir in the peppers and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the crushed tomatoes, broth and water and bring to a simmer. Carefully stir in the pasta and bring to a low boil. Continue to cook, stirring often, until the pasta is just tender, about 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add the butter, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. When the butter completely melts into the pasta, add in the cream and Parmesan cheese.
- Simmer for 10-15 more minutes, stirring occasionally, until pasta is tender.
- Stir in the fresh basil and serve warm.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 388Total Fat: 19gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 85mgSodium: 572mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 25g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
More Delicious Pasta Recipes
Best Slow Cooker Spaghetti Sauce
Ground beef and tomato sauce, simmered in the slow cooker with garlic and plenty of seasonings makes this the tastiest spaghetti sauce you'll every try!
Baked Chicken Spinach Spaghetti
This rich and creamy baked pasta dish features chicken, spinach and spaghetti in a cheesy Alfredo style sauce. It's comfort food the whole family will love.
Baked Spaghetti Lasagna
Hearty baked spaghetti in a creamy mozzarella and ricotta base, topped with a flavorful sausage marinara sauce.
Cheesy Ravioli Lasagna
Layers of ravioli, marinara sauce and cheese combine in this easy, lasagna-style dish the whole family will love!
Cheesy Gnocchi and Sausage Skillet
Tender gnocchi pasta with Italian sausage and cheese cooks up in one skillet for a quick and easy meal!
Ultimate Baked Ziti
Pasta is baked in a creamy marinara sauce with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese in this ultimate version of a classic Italian dish.
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Host the Toast
Anne [A Squared]
I went to college in Syracuse and used to get Chicken Riggies at restaurants there all the time– so good! And have never seen it on a menu anywhere else!
Chris at Hye Thyme Cafe
I live right next door in New Hartford. Chicken Riggies was one of the first things I was told I had to try when I moved here. As much as I love the Riggies – or pretty much any pasta dish for that matter, they can keep their other dish – Tomato Pie – too much like soggy pizza for my liking. Ooh, actually, Greens are really big in these parts too. Those I love! Unlike the greens when I was living down South – they use lots of collards; here it’s escarole. So, how did a Colorado native run into Chicken Riggies?? 🙂