PERFECT POTATO ROLLS — These soft, fluffy rolls are made with mashed potatoes for a light, soft delicious roll that really is perfect. A great way to use leftover mashed potatoes.
A few months ago, my friend Doreen shared her recipe for rolls on Facebook, and I knew I had to try it. Well, her rolls turned out absolutely perfect, hence the name Perfect Potato Rolls.
I don’t know exactly how long Doreen has been making these rolls, but I’d say for many years, and probably even for a few decades.
She said, “This is still my go-to recipe for hot rolls, pizza, cinnamon rolls. You can tell from the looks of the recipe that it gets used A LOT. “
Well, any time someone says it’s a go-to recipe that they’ve used a lot, I know it’s going to be good. And these rolls did not disappoint.
I’m guessing it has something to do with the addition of mashed potatoes. All I know is these are the most soft, beautiful, delicious rolls I’ve ever made.
I’ve always been intrigued by the idea of potato rolls, but the few recipes I’d tried before just didn’t impress me. But these potato rolls were beyond impressive!
According to Doreen, this recipe works best with mashed potatoes made from instant potato flakes, so that’s what I used and recommend.
But this is also a great recipe for using leftover mashed potatoes. Just be sure and warm them up before you add them to the batter.
This recipe does make about 6 dozen rolls, so it’s perfect for big holiday gatherings. The recipe can also be halved, and the rolls freeze well too.
These buttery, wonderfully soft, Perfect Potato Rolls are destined to become a favorite family recipe, just like they are in Doreen’s family. Happy Baking!
Be sure to save this recipe for Perfect Potato Rolls to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Perfect Potato Rolls
- Mashed potatoes
- Butter, for brushing rolls
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup warm mashed potatoes (from instant flakes, or leftover)
- 6-6 1/2 cups flour
- Melted butter, for brushing rolls
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar, salt, oil, eggs and mashed potatoes. Mix until smooth.
- Stir in yeast mixture, followed by 4 cups of flour. Gradually add the remaining flour until a soft dough forms. You may not use all the flour.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and need for about 5 minutes.
- Place dough in a greased bowl. Cover and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and divide into six equal portions. Divide and shape each portion into 12 equal balls. Place in greased baking pans. Let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake rolls for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and brush with melted butter. Remove rolls to wire racks to cool completely.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 72 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 280Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 61mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 7g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Doreen