PUMPKIN BARS WITH CREAM CHEESE FROSTING — Moist and delicious, these homemade pumpkin bars are filled with cinnamon and spice, then topped with a sweet cream cheese frosting.
The perfect way to kick off pumpkin season, these Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting are a classic fall recipe that never goes out of style!
I first tried these pumpkin bars at my friend Suzanne’s house. She invited some friends and neighbors over for dessert and served these pumpkin bars, and I loved them so much I asked for the recipe.
Suzanne has been making these pumpkin bars for years, and made a few improvements of her own, which means this is a tried-and-true recipe. And for good reason!
No matter how many pumpkin recipes you’ll find on the Internet every fall, this pumpkin bar recipe is a classic that you’ll come back to again and again.
The only thing I changed from Suzanne’s version was to add a pinch of salt and a splash of vanilla.
One of the many things I love about this recipe is that it makes enough for a crowd, so it’s perfect for neighborhood get-togethers, church potlucks, and almost any fall celebration.
Of course, topping these bars off with cream cheese frosting is a must. In this case, I like to add a touch of cinnamon to my frosting, but that is totally optional. Definitely recommended though!
I’ve yet to meet someone who doesn’t love these pumpkin bars. Even my kids who claim not to like pumpkin desserts can’t seem to get enough of these.
There’s a reason my friend has been making and serving these Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting for so long. It’s one of those simple yet delicious recipes that gets passed down for generations. Enjoy!
Be sure to save this recipe for Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, salt
- Canned pumpkin
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
For the bars
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (16 oz.) can pumpkin
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
For the frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 15x10x1-inch pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
- In a separate bowl beat eggs, vanilla, pumpkin, sugar, oil and applesauce until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and beat until well combined. Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting by beating cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Mix in vanilla, salt and cinnamon.
- Gradually add powdered sugar until frosting reaches desired consistency. Spread over cools bars before slicing and serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 36 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 284Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 144mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 0gSugar: 45gProtein: 2g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: My friend Suzanne