PUMPKIN CORNBREAD — This savory pumpkin bread is the perfect accompaniment to fall soups and stews. So moist and delicious, everyone will be going back for seconds.
Until now, I’ve always been the only person in my family who likes cornbread. So although I love it, I rarely make it. Because I end up eating the whole pan myself.
But when I served up this Pumpkin Cornbread, no one could stop talking about how they liked it so much more than regular cornbread.
I’m guessing they enjoyed how moist this cornbread was, thanks to the addition of pumpkin.
My husband’s biggest complaint about cornbread is that it’s too dry and crumbly. But not this cornbread!
Pepper jack cheese gives this savory pumpkin bread a bit of kick, but any kind of shredded cheese would work. Cheddar and mozzarella would be great options!
If you really want to spice it up, top off the batter with some sliced jalapeno peppers before baking.
If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, no worries. Just bake this recipe up in a 9-inch square or round baking pan. This also makes lovely cornbread muffins.
If you’re the lone cornbread lover in your family, give this Pumpkin Cornbread recipe a try. The only downside? You may not get the whole pan for yourself.
Be sure to save this Potato Chip Crusted Grilled Corn recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Pumpkin Cornbread
- Baking powder
- Spices: nutmeg, salt
- Pepper jack cheese
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine cornmeal and milk in a medium bowl; let stand for about 10 minutes. In another medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg.
- Stir eggs, pumpkin and melted butter into cornmeal mixture. Mix well. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Fold in pepper jack cheese.
- Pour mixture into a 10-inch cast iron skillet, or lightly greased 9-inch square baking pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center come out clean.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 208Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 59mgSodium: 442mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 8g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
Who Dished It Up First: Inspired by a pumpkin-themed insert in Food Network Magazine.