HOMEMADE SALSA VERDE — Fresh tomatillos are roasted, then blended with jalapeno, cilantro, garlic and onion to create this mildly spicy green salsa.
I was excited to spot tomatillos at my local farm stand this week. They seem to have such a short growing season here in Colorado that I can’t resist buying them when I see them.
And then, of course, I couldn’t resist making some Homemade Salsa Verde! One of my favorite things to do with fresh tomatillos is make green salsa.
Everyone in my family prefers green salsa to the traditional red, so fresh tomatillo salsa is a big hit around here.
In fact, my youngest won’t use anything but green salsa…..especially if it’s fresh and homemade!
I always roast the tomatillos first, along with some of the other salsa ingredients, to give it a bit of a smoky flavor.
Once your veggies are roasted, it just takes a minute to pulse everything together in the food processor.
I usually use one or two jalapenos, depending on their size and whether or not we want a spicy salsa. If you like it spicy, be sure to leave some of the seeds in your jalapenos.
Be sure to save this Roasted Tomatillo Salsa recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Roasted Tomatillo Salsa
- Produce: tomatillos, jalapenos, onion, garlic, fresh cilantro
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 10-12 medium tomatillos, husked and cleaned
- 1-2 small jalapenos, halved and seeded
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 3-4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 handfuls fresh cilantro
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place tomatillos, jalapenos, onion and garlic cloves on a large baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables start to brown. Remove from oven and cool.
- Place roasted vegetables in the bowl of a food processor and process until well blended.
- Add fresh cilantro and process for another minute or two. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 75Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 59mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 1g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from She Wears Many Hats.