SAUSAGE AND PIEROGI SOUP — Smoked sausage and miniature pierogies come together with fresh spinach in a creamy broth for a hearty, delicious comfort meal the whole family will love.
I never tried pierogies until I met my Canadian husband in college. Needless to say, they are now a staple in our families diet, and this Sausage and Pierogi Soup is our favorite new way to enjoy them!
If you’ve never tried perogies, imagine a dumpling filled with cheese and mashed potatoes. You can see why they’d be so delicious in this hearty, creamy soup.
With a garnish of crisp bacon bits and a chopped green onions, this soup is a crowd-pleasing meal that’s perfect for a cold day.
This recipe calls for mini perogies, which I found at my local Kroger chain. I didn’t have much luck finding them anywhere else, so I was so happy Kroger came through for me! I used the Mrs. T’s brand.
If you can’t find mini perogies, don’t fear! You can definitely use full-size perogies in this recipe. You’ll just need to cut them in half with the side of your spoon as you eat them. But the soup will taste exactly the same.
I had an inkling this recipe would be well received by my pierogi loving husband and boys, and I was 100 percent correct. They all loved it and came back for seconds.
I’m so glad my future husband introduced me to pierogies all those years ago. This hearty, filling soup is definitely a meal we’ll be enjoying over and over again!
Be sure to save this Sausage and Pierogi Soup recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Sausage and Pierogi Soup
- Olive oil
- Smoked sausage or kielbasa
- Produce: carrots, onion, garlic, spinach, green onions
- Chicken broth
- Heavy cream
- Sour cream
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 (14 oz.) smoked sausage or kielbasa, sliced
- 1 cup diced or shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (12.8 oz.) packaged frozen miniature pierogies
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped green onions and cooked crumbled bacon for garnish, if desired
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add the sliced sausage, carrots, onion and garlic and cook until sausage starts to brown.
- Stir in the flour and cook a few minutes more. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Stir in the pierogies and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until pierogies are tender, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in heavy cream and sour cream. Simmer for 5-10 minutes more. Stir in spinach and cook until just wilted. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Serve immediately topped with green onions and crumbled bacon, if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 502Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 112mgSodium: 1631mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 15g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens