SLOW COOKER CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS — Loaded with tender chunks of chicken, carrots and celery, this slow cooker version of chicken and dumplings is perfect for a chilly fall evening.
With cooler fall evenings just around the corner, you’re going to love serving warm, comforting recipes like this Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings.
As far as I’m concerned, chicken and dumplings are the epitome of comfort food, and this easy-to-make, slow cooked version is one of my favorites. My kids are big fans too, and I know everyone will leave the table satisfied when I serve this meal.
This recipe is loaded with tender chicken and big soft dumplings–which are, of course, the best thing about chicken and dumplings!
These dumplings are the drop biscuit style. Noodle-like dumplings are also traditional in some recipes. They’re both delicious! One is a bit more like chicken noodle soup, and this variety is more like a rich, thick, chicken pot pie.
I love this slow cooker version for days when I don’t have as much time to prep for dinner, but I still want to feed my family a hearty, comforting meal.
Just put all the chicken ingredients into the slow cooker, then mix up the dumpling dough. Drop big spoonfuls over the chicken filling, and 6-8 hours later, dinner is served. So easy!
This does make enough to feed a crowd, but it’s great warmed up for lunch the next day. Of course, with so many hungry boys to feed, I don’t always have leftovers, but I think this might just taste better the second day.
And because it’s made with ingredients I always have on hand, I can decide to serve this for dinner without much advance planning. As long as I remember to thaw my chicken.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings is a true comfort food recipe that my whole family loves. There’s a reason it’s a classic–inexpensive and easy to make, and everyone loves it!
Be sure to save this recipe for Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings
- Olive oil
- Produce: celery, carrots, onion, garlic
- Chicken broth
- Spices: thyme, bay leaves, salt and pepper
- Baking powder
For the chicken
- 1.5 pounds boneless chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the dumplings
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until golden. Transfer to a lightly greased slow cooker.
- Add celery, carrots, onion and garlic to same skillet and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker with chicken.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, broth, thyme and salt and pepper until smooth. Stir in bay leaves. Pour mixture over chicken in slow cooker.
- For the dumplings, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and pepper and in a large bowl. Stir in milk and melted butter (batter will be thick). Drop by 1/4 cupfuls over chicken mixture. Cover and cook on low until chicken is bubbly and dumplings are set, 6-8 hours; discard bay leaves. Turn off slow cooker and let stand, uncovered, for 15 minutes before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 379Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 92mgSodium: 968mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 33g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Taste of Home