Slow Cooker Kung Pao Meatballs — All the flavors of a sweet and savory Kung Pao dish in an easy to make, slow cooker recipe that starts with frozen meatballs. Serve over rice for a complete meal.
If you’re looking for a fun and simple twist on your favorite Asian take-out, you’ve got to give these Slow Cooker Kung Pao Meatballs a try!
If you’ve been a Let’s Dish reader for long, you know I’ve got a lot of recipes that use prepared, frozen meatballs. They’re pretty much a pantry–technically a freezer–staple around here.
Of course, I love a good homemade meatball, but I don’t always have time to make them from scratch. And since my husband and kids all love the frozen version, it’s pretty much a win-win for me.
Plus, frozen meatballs are so versatile! Trust me, they’re not just for traditional Italian-style dishes. These Asian-inspired meatballs are a perfect example.
However you choose to use them, I definitely recommend keeping a bag or two of frozen meatballs on hand at all times!
As if this dish wasn’t simple enough already, preparing it in the slow cooker makes it even easier. It’s not quite a dump-and-go recipe, but it’s pretty close.
We always serve these meatballs over hot cooked rice, so just be sure to get your rice started about 30 minutes before you plan to eat.
I like to add the peanuts and green onions just before serving, so both are nice and crunchy. Honestly, the peanuts are my favorite part, so I always throw in an extra handful or two.
If you’re stuck in a recipe rut and want to serve something quick, easy and different for dinner, I highly recommend these Slow CookerKung Pao Meatballs. They’re always a hit at my house!
Be sure to save this recipe for Slow Cooker Kung Pao Meatballs to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Slow Cooker Kung Pao Meatballs
- Frozen meatballs
- Soy sauce
- Beef broth
- Sesame oil
- Rice vinegar
- Brown sugar
- Produce: garlic, green onions, red bell pepper
- Dried red chilies
- Spices: ground ginger, salt and pepper
- 2-3 dozen frozen meatballs
- 3/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4-6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 8 dried red chilies
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup shelled roasted peanuts
- Rice, for serving
- Place meatballs in a lightly greased slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together soy sauce, beef broth, sesame oil, rice vinegar, brown sugar, cornstarch, garlic, ginger and salt and pepper to taste. Pour over meatballs.
- Stir dried chilies into meatballs and sauce. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours, or until sauce is thickened and bubbly.
- About 30 minutes before serving, stir in red pepper, green onions and peanuts. Serve over rice. Garnish with more green onions and peanuts, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 264Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 2134mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 3gSugar: 15gProtein: 11g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Tablespoon