SLOW COOKER SAUSAGE AND SHRIMP GUMBO — Andouille sausage and shrimp are slow cooked in a spicy, savory sauce, then served over rice in this hearty, Cajun-inspired meal.
One of our favorite local restaurants is a Cajun place. We all love it! so I knew I needed to recreate some Cajun recipes, like this Slow Cooker Sausage and Shrimp Gumbo, at home.
Served over some fluffy white rice, it’s my idea of comfort food on a cold day, and perfect for celebrating Mardis Gras.
And yes, if you prefer, you can add chicken too, or replace the sausage or shrimp with chicken. Not everyone in my family likes shrimp, so I often use chicken instead.
If you want to cut down on the spicy kick, try using regular smoked sausage in place of andouille. Either way, this hearty, satisfying meal will have everyone going back for second and thirds!
Now, before I get any comments about the lack of a roux (or the lack of okra) in this recipe, I know it’s not one hundred percent authentic.
I just don’t like okra, and I don’t like the flavor of traditional gumbo made with roux or gumbo file. It kind of tastes like dirt to me. I know. I’m sorry. I’d be a terrible Cajun.
But, this is a delicious version of gumbo that even young kids or picky eaters will enjoy. And since it’s made in the slow cooker, it’s so convenient and easy.
So if you’re not opposed to eating sort-of authentic gumbo that’s a little less work, this recipe is the one for you! And if you really love okra, go ahead and throw some in.
My family absolutely loves this Slow Cooker Sausage and Shrimp Gumbo, and I love knowing I can make it at home when we’re all craving something from our favorite Cajun restaurant.
Be sure to save this Slow Cooker Sausage and Shrimp Gumbo recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Slow Cooker Sausage and Shrimp Gumbo
- Olive oil
- Produce: bell pepper, onion, celery, garlic
- Andouille sausage
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Chicken broth
- Hot sauce
- Worcestershire suace
- Spices: bay leaves, oregano, thyme, basil, salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 14 ounces andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1-2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 10 ounces shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Hot cooked rice, for serving
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add pepper, onion, celery, garlic and sausage and saute until sausage is browned and vegetables are tender. Add to a lightly greased slow cooker.
- Add the diced tomatoes, chicken broth, spices, hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- About thirty minutes before serving, whisk together the cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Whisk cornstarch mixture into slow cooker until smooth. Add shrimp. Cover and cook and additional 20-30 minutes, or until shrimp is cooked through and gumbo has thickened slightly.
- Serve over hot cooked rice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 373 Total Fat: 22g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 12g Cholesterol: 143mg Sodium: 2120mg Carbohydrates: 21g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 4g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 21g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: This is an original recipe