STRAWBERRY BUTTERMILK PIE — A classic Southern buttermilk pie meets a fresh glazed strawberry pie in this delightful dessert mash-up that’s perfect for spring and summer.
If you’ve ever had a classic buttermilk pie, then you know how rich and creamy the base of this pie is. Buttermilk pie is a custard-style pie that originated in England, but in America, it’s synonymous with Southern food. So you know it’s going to be good.
Now imagine that buttery custard filling topped off with sliced strawberries and finish off with a sweet strawberry glaze.
Topped off with a dollop of homemade whipped cream, this pie is pretty much perfect when it comes to spring and summer dessert choices.
And this pie is as pretty as it is delicious. But don’t worry! It’s really not hard to make. Especially if you use a store bought pie crust.
That’s what I do, and I don’t feel one bit bad about it. Pre-made pie dough is a huge time saver, as far as I’m concerned. I rarely make pie dough from scratch because I’d rather spend my time creating an amazing filling.
But if you do want to make your own pie crust, I highly recommend this recipe for Grandma’s Secret Pie Crust. It never fails to produce a perfect, flaky crust that your grandma would be proud of.
Regardless of whether you use a homemade or store bought crust, this pie is sure to be a a hit. It’s makes for a beautiful presentation and it tastes great too. What’s not to love about that?
Be sure to save this Strawberry Buttermilk Pie recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Strawberry Buttermilk Pie
- Pie crust
- Lemon juice
- Pastry for one (9-inch) pie crust
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 pints strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9-inch pie pan. Roll dough for crust into a 12-inch circle. Press into prepared pan and crimp edges as desired.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs with a whisk or electric mixer until frothy. Add butter, sugar, flour and salt and beat until smooth.
- Stir in buttermilk, vanilla and lemon juice. Pour mixture into crust. Bake for about 60 minutes, or until center if firm and top of pie is golden. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, whisk together ingredients for glaze in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Arrange halved strawberries over buttermilk pie base. Pour our brush desired amount of glaze over strawberries. Serve at room temperature. Leftover pie should be refrigerated.
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Vegetarian Times