THAI CHICKEN MEATBALL CURRY — Flavorful Thai spiced chicken meatballs are simmered in a creamy yellow curry sauce with fresh veggies. Serve over rice for a hearty, comforting meal.
We love a good curry dish around here, and this Thai Chicken Meatball Curry is a new family favorite. Even my husband likes it, and he claims he’s not a fan of curry.
He’s a huge fan of meatballs though, so maybe that’s what one him over. I mean, who doesn’t love meatballs, right?
These meatballs are made with ground chicken–or turkey if you prefer–and seasoned with garlic, ginger, soy sauce and fresh cilantro, for a subtle Thai flavor.
They are amazing in this recipe, but also perfect on their own, or as an addition to all kinds of Asian-inspired dishes.
In fact, I like to make a double batch and freeze half to have on hand for things like Butter Chicken Meatballs or Slow Cooker Red Curry Meatballs.
The coconut based curry sauce for this recipe is flavored with yellow curry powder, turmeric and cayenne pepper, and loaded with fresh veggies, like tomatoes and peppers.
Of course, you can change up the veggies to use whatever you have on hand. It’s one of the great things about curries–they’re so versatile.
We always serve this meatball curry over jasmine or basmati rice, but noodles are another good option. For garnish we like chopped cilantro, and sliced jalapenos or red chilis, for those who like a spicy kick.
Leftovers are delicious the next day, although you’ll be lucky to have any, because everyone goes back for seconds.
This Thai Chicken Meatball Curry is as delicious as it is beautiful, and since it’s so easy to prepare, it’s destined to become a family favorite.
Be sure to save this Thai Chicken Meatball Curry recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Thai Chicken Meatball Curry
- Ground chicken or turkey
- Produce: fresh ginger, garlic, jalapenos, cilantro, red onion, tomatoes, bell peppers
- Spices: onion powder, curry powder, turmeric, dried basil, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper
- Soy sauce
- Olive oil
- Coconut milk
- Chicken broth
- Rice, for serving
Thai Chicken Meatball Curry
Flavorful Thai spiced chicken meatballs are simmered in a creamy yellow curry sauce with fresh veggies. Serve over rice for a hearty, comforting meal.
For the meatballs
- 2 lbs. ground chicken or turkey
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and finely minced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
For the curry
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can coconut milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, plus more for serving
- Hot cooked rice for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Combine all of the meatball ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Shape into walnut sized balls and place on the prepared baking sheet Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden and cooked through; set aside.
- While the meatballs bake, start the curry. Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the peppers, onions and garlic and sauté until vegetables are just tender, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, curry powder, turmeric, basil and cayenne and chicken broth. Simmer for 6-8 minutes, or until liquid is reduced by half.
- Stir in the coconut milk, then gently stir in the cooked meatballs. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Simmer until meatballs are heated through.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro, if desired, and serve over hot cooked rice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 396Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 161mgSodium: 691mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 34g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
Facebook | Pinterest | Instagram | Twitter
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
More Delicious Meatball Recipes
Slow Cooker Kung Pao Meatballs
All the flavors of a sweet and savory Kung Pao dish in an easy to make, slow cooker recipe that starts with frozen meatballs. Serve over rice for a complete meal.
Slow Cooker Swedish Meatballs
These slow cooker Swedish meatballs are so easy to make, thanks to the help of pre-made, frozen meatballs. The creamy sauce makes this dish pure comfort food.
Grilled Beef Meatball Kabobs
Ground beef is mixed with middle eastern herbs and spices, then shaped into meatballs and grilled, kabob-style. Serve with Tzatziki sauce, for dipping.
Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Meatballs, pineapple and peppers slow cooked in a tangy sweet and sour glaze.
Greek Turkey Meatballs with Spinach and Feta
Ground turkey meatballs are loaded with feta cheese, spinach and Greek herbs and spices. Delicious served with orzo or flatbread.
Slow Cooker Teriyaki Meatballs
Meatballs are simmered in the slow cooker in a flavorful, sweet and spicy homemade teriyaki sauce.
Classic Italian Meatballs
Ricotta cheese is the secret to these moist, tender meatballs. Serve over pasta with your favorite marinara sauce for a meal the whole family will love.
Sweet Chipotle Barbecue Meatballs
Cocktail meatballs with a sweet and spicy chipotle barbecue sauce, simmered in the slow cooker. An easy appetizer perfect for game day or holiday entertaining.
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Live Life Deliciously
Leave a Reply