YELLOW CHICKEN CURRY WITH POTATOES — This restaurant-style curry dish features chunks of tender chicken and Yukon Gold potatoes in a creamy, coconut milk based sauce. Even picky eaters love this one!
I love curry of all kinds–whether I order it in a restaurant or make it at home. And this Yellow Chicken Curry with Potatoes is one of my family’s favorite curry dishes.
My husband has never been a big fan of curry, so I’m quite proud of the fact that all of my kids have taken my side in the great curry debate, and decided they love it as much as I do.
And while he would never order curry in a restaurant, this homemade version is one that he definitely enjoys.
Although you could definitely add other vegetables, when I do that, someone around here is bound to suddenly decide they don’t like curry after all.
Yellow curry paste tends to be milder in general than red or green, but it’s also harder to find at the grocery store. I usually end up ordering it on Amazon, or some other online grocer.
Of course, you can also make this dish with red or green curry and it’s absolutely amazing! The heat level will be somewhat stronger, depending on how much you use, but if you like things spicy, go for it!
Personally, I love adding coarsely chopped peanuts to this recipe just before serving, but I always serve them on the side, since that option isn’t for everyone.
A sprinkling of fresh cilantro for garnish is also a much, as far as I’m concerned. Our favorite way to enjoy this curry is over a bowl of jamsine or basmati rice.
If you’re new to curry and looking for a recipe that won’t be overwhelming or overpowering, but is still full of authentic curry flavors, this Yellow Chicken Curry with Potatoes recipe is for you.
Be sure to save this Yellow Chicken Curry with Potatoes recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Tips for Making Great Curry
Take your time: Good curry doesn’t have to take hours but you do want to allow ingredients such as onions to cook properly for the most flavor.
Seasoning: Don’t be afraid to be generous with your spices. Add a little sugar to tomato based curries to take away the acidity. A pinch of salt can also balance the dish.
If you do go a little overboard with your seasonings, add a squeeze of lemon juice to neutralize the excess.
Garnish: Serve toppings with your curry, like peanuts, golden raisins, green onions, chopped cilantro, coconut or toasted sesame seeds. They can add even more depth of flavor to your curry dish.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Yellow Chicken Curry with Potatoes
- Yellow curry paste
- Vegetable oil
- Coconut milk
- Chicken broth
- Heavy cream
- Fish sauce
- Produce: Yukon gold potatoes, onions, cilantro
- Peanuts, for serving
- 1-2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 2-3 tablespoons yellow curry paste
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 (13.5 oz.) can coconut milk
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- Chopped peanuts, for garnish
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Hot cooked rice, for serving
- In a large sauté pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned. Remove to a plate and keep warm.
- Add yellow curry paste to skillet and cook until onions are tender, 3-5 minutes. Stir in the coconut milk, chicken broth, fish sauce and potatoes. Bring to a simmer and cook until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Return the chicken to the pan, and simmer for an additional 8-10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Stir in the heavy cream.
- Sprinkle with peanuts and chopped cilantro before serving, if desired. Serve over hot cooked rice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 697Total Fat: 40gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 148mgSodium: 1372mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 43g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Simple Thai Food