INDIVIDUAL BLACK FOREST BROWNIE TRIFLES — Layers of dense chocolate brownie, homemade cherry pie filling, and fresh whipped cream come together in this decadent layered dessert.
My husband is a huge fan of black forest cake–and chocolate covered cherries too–so any time I come up with a chocolate-cherry dessert it’s sure to be a hit. And these Individual Black Forest Brownie Trifles were no exception.
I mean, what’s not to love about layers of chewy brownie, homemade cherry sauce and fresh whipped cream? Nothing, I say. Not one thing!
Yes, you could use canned cherry pie filling, but homemade cherry pie filling is oh so easy to make (with the help of a cherry pitter) and totally worth the extra bit of effort.
If you’re looking to save time with this recipe, go for store-bought brownies (that’s what I did!) and put your efforts into the cherry filling. It’s what makes this dessert extra special!
You could also make these trifles with cubed chocolate cake. I prefer the dense, chewy texture of a brownie, but I certainly wouldn’t turn down a version of this dessert made with chocolate cake.
If you don’t have individual trifle bowls or similar sized glass dishes, you can assemble this dessert in a full size, standard-size trifle dish.
Either way, everyone is going to love this luscious Black Forest dessert!
Here’s what you’ll need to make Smothered Chicken Burritos
- Whipping cream
Individual Black Forest Brownie Trifles
Layers of dense chocolate brownie, homemade cherry pie filling, and fresh whipped cream come together in this decadent layered dessert.
- Prep Time: 20 min
- Cook Time: 15 min
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Refrigerated
- Cuisine: American
- 1 square (9×9-inch) pan brownies, store bought or from your favorite mix or recipe
- 4 cups fresh cherries, pitted
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Chocolate shavings, for garnish (optional)
- Cut brownies into 1-inch cubes; set aside
- In a medium saucepan whisk together 1/2 cup sugar, water and cornstarch.
- Stir in cherries and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Simmer for 10-15 minutes until cherries begin to soften and mixture thickens and resembles pie filling; cool.
- Meanwhile, whip heavy cream and 2 tablespoons sugar with an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Divide half of the brownies between 4 individual glass bowls, followed by half of the cherry filling, then half of the whipped cream. Repeat once more, ending with whipped cream.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings, if desired.
Keywords: brownie, trifle, cherry, chocolate
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: This is an original recipe.