EASY SLOW COOKER ORANGE CHICKEN — Better than take-out orange chicken made in the slow cooker!
As far as I’m concerned, nothing beats an easy, slow cooker recipe that the whole family loves. If you agree, then you’ve got to try this Easy Slow Cooker Orange Chicken.
My 12 year-old is definitely my pickiest eater, so if he goes back for seconds, I know it’s a keeper.
He went back for thirds of this orange chicken and asked to eat the leftovers the next day!
Made this twice now. It’s so good!!! Looking forward to more posts. ~ Kimberly
This chicken dish has lots of great flavor thanks to fresh orange juice and zest, along with ginger and red pepper flakes for a bit of spice.
Sauteing the meat before adding it to the slow cooker is an extra step, but it adds so much flavor. Don’t be tempted to skip it. It only takes a few minutes and is totally worth it!
I recommend serving this orange chicken over hot cooked rice, but rice noodles are great too.
We like to garnish ours with some sesame seeds and diced green onion. You could even add red peppers or snow peas to the mix.
One thing is for sure–my family loved this and I’ll be making it again and again.
You’ll definitely want to add this Slow Cooker Orange Chicken Recipe to your collection of easy family dinners that are perfect for busy week nights.
Be sure to save this Easy Slow Cooker Orange Chicken recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Easy Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
- Chicken breasts
- Spices: salt and pepper, ground ginger, red pepper flakes
- Vegetable oil
- Chicken broth
- Soy sauce
- Brown sugar
- Produce: Garlic, green onions
- Sesame oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1-2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons water + 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Sesame seeds and green onions, for garnish
- Cooked rice, for serving
- In a large zip-top bag, toss the chicken with the cornstarch salt and pepper. Shake to coat well.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken in batches for 5-6 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer chicken to a lightly greased slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, whisk together chicken broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, orange juice and zest, vinegar, garlic, ginger, red pepper flakes and sesame oil. Pour sauce over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, whisk together the 2 tablespoons of water and cornstarch in a small bowl and stir mixture into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for another 20-30 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds, green onions and serve over cooked rice.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 384 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 97mg Sodium: 1192mg Carbohydrates: 36g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 17g Protein: 39g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Easy Sweet and Sour Chicken
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Life Made Sweeter