SLOW COOKER TOMATO SOUP — Made with crushed tomatoes, roasted red peppers, and plenty of garlic and seasonings, this childhood favorite is the perfect accompaniment to a grilled cheese sandwich.
This simple but delicious soup is one of my quick and easy week night go-to meals. All of my boys love it, and so does my husband. With a warm, gooey grilled cheese sandwich for dipping, of course.
Honestly, if you get this soup simmering in the slow cooker in the morning, it won’t take you any longer to get dinner on the table than it does to serve soup out of a can.
And this version–although it also relies on canned goods–it so much better than the tomato soup you can get in a can.
Of course, if you want your meal to be a little bit more healthy, you can skip the grilled cheese and opt for a side salad instead.
In addition to canned tomatoes, this soup gets some extra flavor from roasted red peppers. I usually opt for the jarred peppers to save time, but you could certainly roast your own peppers for even more homemade flavor.
Another secret ingredient in this soup–a bit of heavy cream. It makes it extra rich, creamy and delicious.
This recipe will feed a crowd, or a handful of hungry teenage boys. It also freezes well, so go ahead and make the full recipe, even if you don’t think you can eat it in one sitting.
We love to top this soup off with crunchy croutons, fresh basil and grated Parmesan cheese. But if you’ve got a sandwich ready for dunking, you really don’t need any condiments at all.
Honestly, this Slow Cooker Tomato Soup is probably the easiest meal you’ll ever make, and it’s sure to get rave reviews from everyone in the family. Trust me, you’re going to love it!
Be sure to save this Slow Cooker Tomato Soup recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Slow Cooker Tomato Soup
- Crushed tomatoes
- Tomato sauce
- Chicken or vegetable broth
- Produce: garlic, fresh basil
- Roasted red peppers
- Spices: oregano. salt and pepper
- Heavy cream
- 2 (28 oz.) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup jarred roasted red peppers, drained
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, garlic, red peppers, oregano and sugar to a lightly greased slow cooker. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. Puree with an immersion blender until smooth. Stir in heavy cream and basil just before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 154Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 49mgSodium: 250mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 9g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: This is an original recipe