CHEESY POPPY SEED CHICKEN CASSEROLE — This new twist on an old classic features tender chicken, a creamy poppy seed sauce, cheddar cheese, and a buttery cracker topping.
Loaded with tender chicken and topped off with crispy, buttery crackers, this Cheesy Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole is a comfort food dish the whole family will love.
My mom used to make a version of this when we were kids, complete with cream of chicken soup, and served over broccoli. And we all loved it–well, except for maybe the broccoli.
And although I have nothing against canned soup, this updated version of poppy seed chicken has a made from scratch sauce featuring cream cheese and chicken broth.
For extra cheesy goodness, I’ve also thrown in a handful of grated cheddar cheese. Because you really can’t go wrong by adding more cheese!
The result is a hearty, heartwarming meal that is sure to satisfy even your pickiest eaters. Unless you serve it with broccoli, of course!
Now that I’m older, I love serving this chicken casserole with broccoli, but I always serve it on the side, since I have some picky eaters of my own.
It’s also great over hot cooked rice or noodles. And of course this casserole is delicious all by itself.
My favorite part is the buttery cracker topping. I like to use Ritz crackers or something similar. But for a really cheesy dish, try topping your casserole off with crushed cheese crackers.
The cheese cracker topping is especially well loved by kids. But who are we kidding? Everybody loves a cheesy cracker topping! Even seasoned, buttered breadcrumbs will work in a pinch.
No matter how you top of this Cheesy Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole it’s sure to be a family favorite that you’ll make again and again.
Be sure to save this Cheesy Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Cheesy Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole
- Chicken broth
- Cream cheese
- Poppy seeds
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened and cubed
- 4 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheeese
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups crushed buttery crackers, such as Ritz
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large, oven proof skillet, melt 1/2 cup butter over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until tender, 3-5 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook for another minute or two. Whisk in broth and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Turn heat to low, then whisk in milk and cream cheese, stirring until smooth.
- Stir in chicken, shredded cheddar, poppy seeds, and salt and pepper, to taste.
- In a small, microwave safe bowl, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in the crushed crackers. Sprinkle cracker topping over casserole.
- Transfer dish to oven and bake until bubbly, 25-30 minutes. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving. Serve with rice or broccoli.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 359Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 87mgSodium: 623mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 27g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Taste of the South