CHICKEN CORDON BLEU SOUP — This creamy, heartwarming soup is loaded with ham, chicken and Swiss cheese, then topped with croutons and crisp, crumbled bacon. It’s the perfect comfort food for a cold day.
And, dare I say, it’s much easier that making actual chicken cordon bleu–with all of the same flavors and ingredients.
We eat a lot of soup during the fall and winter months, because it’s so easy to make, and always hits the spot on a chilly day, and this hearty soup is no exception.
It’s just so creamy, cheesy and delicious, and the crouton and crispy bacon garnish gives it just the right amount of texture and crunch.
This is an especially great recipe to have on hand during the holiday season, because it’s a great way to use up leftover ham. I like to dice my ham and freeze it so it’s ready to throw into recipes like this one.
To make this dish extra quick and easy, I usually use a supermarket rotisserie chicken, but you could certainly cook and shred your own chicken. Or use leftover chicken if you have some on hand.
The leftovers are great the next day too, if you’re lucky enough to have any!
If you’d like to lighten the recipe up a bit, you can swap out some of the Half and Half for more milk, and use light or fat-free cream cheese. The soup won’t be quite as thick, but it will still be delicious.
If you’re looking for a unique new soup recipe to try this fall, this Chicken Cordon Bleu Soup is sure to be a hit. I hope you love it as much as we did!
Be sure to save this Chicken Cordon Bleu Soup recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Chicken Cordon Bleu Soup
- Chicken broth
- Half and Half
- Cream cheese
- Swiss cheese
- Spices, onion powder, thyme, salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups Half and Half
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened and cubed
- 2 cups diced cooked ham
- 2-3 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
- 2 cups grated Swiss cheese
- Croutons, for garnish
- Cooked crisp bacon, for garnish
- In a large stock pot or Dutch oven, melt butter. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Stir in flour and cook a few minutes longer.
- Whisk in chicken broth, followed by Half and Half and milk. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently. Cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in onion powder and thyme.
- Stir in the cream cheese. Continue cooking and stirring until cream cheese is melted and smooth. Stir in ham, chicken and Swiss cheese.
- Simmer for an additional 5-10 minutes, until cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Garnish with croutons and cooked, crumbled bacon before serving, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 647 Total Fat: 39g Saturated Fat: 21g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 212mg Sodium: 1084mg Carbohydrates: 16g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 5g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 56g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Chef in Training