CHICKEN STUFFING AND SWISS BAKE — Chicken or turkey, stuffing, broccoli and Swiss cheese come together in this comfort food-style casserole.
If you’re planning ahead for those Thanksgiving leftovers, then this Chicken Stuffing and Swiss Bake is the recipe for you.
This is one of those comfort food-style casseroles that remind me of the meals my mom used to make. In fact, I think she used to make something similar to this, but with green beans instead of broccoli.
It’s kind of a throw-it-all-in-the-pan kind of recipe, which means it’s quick and easy to put together.
The original recipe called for a can of cream of mushroom soup, mixed with a cup of milk, but I changed it up and made the sauce from scratch.
I have nothing against canned soup though, so if you’re really pressed for time, feel free to do it that way!
And of course you can replace the boxed stuffing mix with your leftover Thanksgiving stuffing. I’d say you’ll need about three cups if you’re planning to use leftovers.
You can also change up the vegetables and the type of cheese you use. That’s the great thing about this casserole. You can change it up to suit your tastes and what you have on hand.
I cook my fresh broccoli for just a few minutes in boiling water, but you can also use thawed frozen broccoli in this dish as well.
This is a great recipe to have handy during those days after Thanksgiving when you want to serve a warm, hearty meal, and everyone is tired of turkey sandwiches.
My family loves it, and it’s a recipe I pull out all year long when I’m craving classic comfort food.
Be sure to save this Chicken Stuffing and Swiss Bake recipe to your favorite Pinterest board for later.
Here’s what you’ll need to make Chicken Stuffing and Swiss Bake
- Stuffing mix
- Chicken broth
- Salt and pepper
- Swiss cheese
- 1 (6 oz.) package stuffing mix
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups cooked, cubed chicken
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets, cooked
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine the stuffing and water. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour. Gradually whisk in the broth and bring to a simmer to thicken. Stir in the milk. Season with salt and pepper.
- In the prepared pan, layer 2/3 of the stuffing. Top with the chicken and broccoli. Pour the sauce evenly over the top.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the sauce and top with remaining stuffing.
- Bake, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and stuffing is golden brown.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 363Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 92mgSodium: 438mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 22g
Never miss a Let’s Dish Recipe:
If you love this recipe, you might also like:
Who Dished It Up First: Adapted from Taste of Home